Pre-cut mat board

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the past, I've bought pre-cut mat board from Light Impressions. I've heard a lot of bad news about them and I'd like to find a new vendor for pre-cut mat board that's also archival. The size I'm interested in are 8x10 and 11x14 and maybe 16x20. Thanks in advance!

2. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  3. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a contributing advertiser to APUG, FRAME DESTINATION:

http://www.framedestination.com/

They seem to have just about anything in any sized you need.

4. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Top notch company which I can recommend highly.

Roger

5. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second Frame Destinations. Buying from it for a little over a year and I am a pretty satisfied customer.

Occasionally, FDI does a special on ten packs on pre-cut mats on select color/sizes. If you can wait for it, it's an excellent deal. If not, by grouping your order you can save enough to make paying for shipping a worth while expense. Initially, you'd think their shipping is a bit high but you'll understand why once you get your package. (trust me, it's worth it....)

6. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the responses. I'll check out both vendors. I hate buying full sheets of 32x40 and cutting them myself. But buying them pre-cut works for me.
    Best,
    Don

7. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll echo the reliability and quality of Frame Destinations. If you're looking for the exact color and look of the Westminster bright white board like I was, then check out Lumiere - http://www.lumierephoto.com/ . I've ordered a few things from them and been very happy as well. I use them and Frame Destination.

8. PeterAM

PeterAM Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been buying from Frame Destination for a few years and can recommend them without reservation. Take a look at their prices for the frames and other things that they also carry. I am addicted to 8 ply mats; something they do very well and at competitive prices.

9. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Also, check out the company called printfile.com

Jon

10. fdi

fdi Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, thanks everyone for the positive recommendations!

Despite being the owner of a picture frame company I have never hand cut a mat other than in a framing class. When I was first starting Frame Destination I bought pre-cut until we had the revenue to get computerized mat cutters. I would rather be out taking pictures than cutting mats. Of course there are advantages to hand cutting mats, but if you are able to buy at qty 25 there is very little if any savings over cutting yourself.
    Regardless, my company along with many others can sell full-sheets or pre-cuts. If you do decide to go the full-sheet route and you are reselling you might see if you have a frame distributor in your neighborhood that can help you save shipping cost. If not our company can at least spare you some shipping damage since we do not pack full-sheets the way most companies do.

Cheers,
    Mark

11. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i always cut myself. what's rhe gig deal?

12. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not as as skilled as you :wink:

Hi Ralph,
    I don't have a 32" cutter so I have to use the art store's cutter. Most stores in my area don't have cutters available for customers to use for fear of being sued by clients losing fingers. Pre-cut is so easy. BTW, great to see you posting again. Missed ya when you were absent. Best wishes for your health Ralph.
    Don

13. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a skill, maybe even an art, that some of us simply hasn't mastered yet. I rarely cut my own because it generally take too long, has to be re-done once or twice, and never looks quite as clean as professionally cut mats. Besides, I'm space-constrained and just don't have the room for cutting mat. I totally understand why some people opt for pre-cut!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Late last year I bought myself a used mat cutter.

Using it reliably and relatively effortlessly is definitely a learned skill - at least I hope it will be.

I do like, however, being able to cut a mat to the size and aspect ratio that best suits the individual photograph.

16. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Dexter mat cutter and a 16" straight edge. Simple and cheap.

17. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good info I will be using soon. precut mats are so expensive in stores. btw are 4ply mats a bit too thin? or ok for a temporary installation lasting 2-3 days?

18. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually use 4 ply and think they're fine. The cheap ones you get with frames or at craft stores are 2 ply or less, so the 4 ply look better than that at least. I have a hard time cutting 8 ply myself.

19. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    4 ply ones are pretty much "standard". All mine are 4 ply - some are single matted, some are double matted.

20. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I highly recommend FramingSupplies.com.

I have worked with them for several years. They custom cut my matts on the board of my choice and ship them to me here in Atlanta.

(Just to be sure, I have no financial relationship with them, other than sending them about $100 a month!)

Parker

21. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll add to the endorsement of Frame Destinations. I have visited their shop and been given a tour. They are very very good and Mark is a class act. The mat cutting machines are something to see. They can do basically anything.

I have no doubt that the other vendors mentioned and endorsed by others are also good, too; in all fairness. But Frame Destinations is a sponsor of APUG, as well as a supplier. :smile:

Cheers,

And PS: Ralph, I do cut my own, but it is a learned skill and requires the proper tools.

22. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

Try Lodima Archival Materials. We have ArtCare mat board--highest quality there is. We have the lowest prices anywhere. We have no minimums. And no pre-determined standard sizes, meaning a mat, say, 15.5 x 19.625 is the same for us as 16x20. Of course we have all of the standard sizes, too. And we are APUG sponsors.

We have added on to a building and will soon be installing a new guillotine. And we have a computerized mat cutter to cut overmats up to 40x60. And since we are photographers first who are extremely demanding with our own work, we can offer advice about anything to do with mounting and overmatting.

Right now we are preparing to travel for 6 weeks. Someone is here to handle orders, but it might take a few days longer than usual, but once we are back and with the guillotine set up we will generally fill orders within a day.

Michael A. Smith
    www.lodimaarchivalmaterials.com

23. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just bought some ArtCare mat board and machine cut overmats from Lodima. I think they represent the best value out there in pre-cut mats, especially in regard to the overmats. They know how to cut the openings to allow floating the entire image in the window with extra room at the bottom for my signature, and they know the correct offset from the bottom of the mat for the window in any size. These things are very important to me and it takes a photographer who exhibits to understand them and deliver just what I need.

All I have to do is tell Michael what size picture on what size board, whether portrait or landscape, and I'll have just what I need in a day or two. Highly recommended.

24. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great info, made me post workflow questions in a new thread..

25. Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Another thumbs-up for Lodima Archival Materials. I use Alpharag from them and a couple of other sources. Shipping to the west coast from Lodima gets too expensive when I just need a small order, but I'll continue to use them for larger orders. And, it's good to support fellow photographers.

For those in the west, Redimat has good prices if not the best selection (some colors of AlphaRag not in stock). Daniel Smith is also good.

BTW, I really like pre-cut board, so I don't have to take the time or the space to do that myself. I don't cut my window mats either, but lay out the dimensions on pre-cut blanks and take them to my local frame shop. I have a deal with them and their computer mat cutter. They cut for me in bulk at just a couple dollars a window. I really like not having to deal with that aspect of the presentation and instead concentrate on the more creative aspects.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  26. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Yet more kudos to Lodima Archival Materials. Simply tell Michael the size of the print, etc., etc. and the correct mounting materials are at your door in a day or two. Similar praise to Mark as well at Frame Destinations. One can call either Michael or Mark to discuss your needs and feel confident that you will receive complete and competent advice and information. I have dealt with both companies but tend to go with Lodima because of proximity and shipping costs. One simply cannot go wrong by dealing with either of these fine and honest gentlemen.

Ed