Pre-cut mat boards - UK/Europe?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by alkos, Jan 7, 2010.

1. alkos

alkos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking for a reliable source of pre-cut 4/8 ply archival mat boards, but all such services seem to be US-based. Could anybody recommend an Old World supplier?

Thanks in advance

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the UK "The Range" carry pre-cut matt board but it's probably not archival.

Any good framing supplier should be able to cut whatever you want for a reasonable price.

Ian

3. alkos

alkos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here in Dublin there is no such thing as 'reasonable price' for any service I'm afraid ;-) Will neet to ask anyway, I guess... Perhaps I'll end up buying the mats online and cutting them here. I just wonder if they have equipment for the 8ply....

4. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

Lodima Archival Materials ships mat board overseas all the time. We have 4-ply and 8-ply and can cut custom sizes at no extra charge. And we can cut overmats with our computerized mat cutter. There are no minimum quantities.

See http://www.superiorarchivalmats.com/sam/index.html for more information

Our URL will change soon to LodimaArchivalMaterials

Michael A. Smith

5. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used this company years ago to cut mounts for an exhibition. http://www.borderframes.co.uk/

I think there was a minimum order of 50, (all the same size) but they did a great job and very well priced. I can't remember the price, but was supplied with 16x20 cut mounts and backing boards of the same archival mount board. I've also used a company in Glasgow called Picturemounts a while back back can't find a reference for them.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another good UK supplier is Lion Picture Framing Supplies in Birmingham, I've used them for around 25 years, they are a trade wholesaler so extremely competitive in price.

Ian

7. richard littlewood

richard littlewood Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've found the only reliable way to make mounts is to cut them myself. It's not difficult with something like a Logan cutter, much cheaper if you can track down a picture frame supplier (mouldings, glass, board etc) A sheet of conservation board is approx £3. The advantage of these big sheets is there is the board left for a smaller mount from the cutout of a bigger one.

8. Ulrich Drolshagen

Ulrich Drolshagen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You may try Monochrom. They specialize in archival presentation stuff.

Ulrich

9. SHbaker11

SHbaker11 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You may check out Pre Cut Mats @ BDmatboard. They have wide collections of matboards.