Pre-War RETINA rangefinder adjustment?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by JPD, Dec 4, 2011.

1. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got a pre-war Kodak Retina IIa (type 150) today, and the rangefinder needs both horizontal and vertical adjustment. I have never tried it with a pre-war model. I hope someone can give me advice before I remove the top plate, so I know what to do next (which screws to turn). This model has the viewfinder and rangefinder eyepieces combined, not as with the model before (type 142) with the separate rangefinder eyepiece.

retinaIIaRF.jpg

2. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Inside. Lots of screws.

retinaIIaRF_2.jpg

3. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Now, go find your largest hammer... :wink:

Well, why don't you ask Chris Sherlock about it? He's the go-to guy when it comes to Retinas as far as I know. I've been ogling one of these 150s for a looong time.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/index.html

4. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I already have. I hesitated to email him though, since he's probably busy with answering emails and repairing cameras. :wink:

Here's the answer I got:

"Now, to make the horizontal adjustment, you need to use the red screw, of course the black one immediately above it in the photo must be lossened a little first.

The vertical adjustment is made with the two little screws marked with green dots. A tiny change here is all that is required usually, as you will find."

retinaIIaRF_3.jpg

He seems to know everything about every Retina model. It's amazing. I will start working on the rangefinder as soon as it stops snowing, so there's something at "infinity" I can focus on. This is my second "150". My first has the 2,8 Xenon (five element Xenar. Very sharp lens) and this one has the 2,0 six element Xenon.