Preference of camera metal

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by cliveh, Apr 1, 2013.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My Leica II is made from Nickel and I think the metal on the lens is also of the same material. I find the finish/soft colour of the metal and its weight one of the most endearing properties of this camera. Were any other cameras manufactured from Nickel? I have heard some people have an allergy to this metal, so it may have a down side.

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any camera made from nickel, but well from nickel-galvanized brass.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Leica's are made of Brass, that's why they suffer from "Brassing". :D

Ian

4. jstout

jstout Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nickel and chrome are used for plating things. Nickel has a nice warm appearance compared to chrome.

5. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sorry, then plated and not made from, but it has a beautiful finish.

6. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it was just used as a coating and most often found on the bright parts before the widespread use of chrome. Nickel has a lovely warm tone and not as shiny as chrome, and seemed to be used until the second world war. I just bought one of those new CV Heliars (yes I know, I know) for my Leicas that is finished in Nickel to give that "retro" look. Must admit that like Titanium it has a very nice look.

7. Yashinoff

Yashinoff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Chrome took over in the 1930s, it has a cooler tint than nickel. I don't really know that I prefer one over the other though. Chrome is much harder wearing than nickel though, and generally doesn't go dull, which is why car manufacturers switched to chrome faster than pretty much anybody else.

On the subject of chrome, I don't think anybody did chrome as well as Exakta did. I love the softer/smoother finish Exaktas have compared to other cameras.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  8. Cold

Cold Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Though maybe not for cameras, nickel was/is also used as an alloying metal along with copper and zinc to make what's known as nickel silver, most often used for small items similar to camera bodies. Again, not saying that it was, in fact, used as a camera body, just another possibilityfor nickel to have found it's way into a camera.

9. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm slightly allergic to nickel so I have to give it up to titanium as the coolest metal. Even though it's been around for awhile, and there have been big advances in aluminum and magnesium and all their alloys, titanium still stands out. It has a nice look to the bare metal that gives it a softer appearance if that's the right term. Whenever I hear it, I think of space age materials, stealth jets, and race cars. It was supposed to be the material of today!!! What happened?!

10. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 1936 Leica Standard type E in black have nickel hardware and a nickel 50 3.5 Elmar. Looks very nice against the black body.

Tony, i have one of those Nickel Heliars too, (50 2.0) beautiful little lens.

11. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Expense, and manufacturing difficulties. Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

12. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Make mine gold . . . :cool:

[​IMG]

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What happened is Titanium is as light as Aluminium, as strong as Steel but is as expensive as Silver.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, nobody has yet discovered a way to get metals to live up to advertising hyperbole. Sad, isn't it?:wink::wink:

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm vey familiar with Titanium, I used to be an engineer with a company that made some of turbine blades for Rolls Royce jet engines with it, and I still have a ring I made for myself out of it.

17. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a passing acquaintance as well, I've used it to make connecting rods in miniature engines. The strength/weight ratio allows the rod to be made lighter thus reducing vibration, there is no way to properly balance a one cylinder engine. It needs a bronze bushing to wear well, and machining requires a light cut, fairly high surface speed, and plenty of coolant.

18. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should be clarified: cameras are made of an aluminium alloy casting, many parts of various materials such as steel, brass, plastic, etc; and are covered with brass covers which are either painted (usually black) or electroplated with either chrome , nickel, "black chrome" or, if you're an aspiring pimp, gold.:wink:

The metal you see when you look at the camera's top and bottom plates, (or a lens barrel), is an electroplated (or anodised) layer.

19. The Old Pharaoh

The Old Pharaoh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think metal camera bodies are made of magnesium alloy.

20. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the nice things about brass.

o easy to machine
    o does not rust or corrode
    o strong
    o dimensionally stable
    o brass on brass threads will not seize

21. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some undoubtedly are. Many are aluminium alloy. Some were cheaper metals/materials.

22. The Old Pharaoh

The Old Pharaoh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nikon bodies are made from magnesium alloy. The same goes for their new digital ones. As for other manufacturers, I am not quite sure.

23. The Old Pharaoh

The Old Pharaoh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  24. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think, if you do some research, you'll find aluminium alloy is the leader... Start with the metal-body large and medium format cameras from the mid-to-late 30s, work your way up to the present day.
    BTW, aren't the Leica M9 and the Nikon d300 digital cameras?

25. The Old Pharaoh

The Old Pharaoh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, sir, they are indeed digital but I only included them from a quick search. As for the Nikons, you will find that F3, FM2 and FM2n are all magnesium alloy. Zeiss too uses magnesium and this is not digital, I guess. I don't disagree with you that probably some use alumium, but there are some books on cameras that confuse magnesium-aluminium alloy for an aluminium alloy. It is mainly magnesium with aluminium added to it in small quantities not the other way round.

I am afraid I will have to leave it here because an additional post with a few more brands was blocked for some reason or another. Perhaps because I gave an example of brands that are not approved of.

I don't think I will be posting anything else in the near future. I will return to being just a reader as I have been in the past.

26. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From the manuals/brochures of what I have:
    1. Asahi Pentax (original) - die cast aluminum
    2. Olympus OM4T - Titanium
    3. Pentax LX - molded aluminum alloy
    4. Nikon FM3A - Copper, silumin aluminum alloy construction chassis and metal outer body