Premature rewind on Autoloading cameras caused by Re-loadable metal cassettes?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by EASmithV, Dec 22, 2011.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've started having issues with my F6, but it occurred to me after discussing with a few others that the issue might be caused by my bulk-loaded film. Here's the situation; My reloadable metal cassetes seem to cause my F6 to want to rewind mid roll, after creating a slight grinding noise. Film advance works perfectly (from what i've seen) with commercially loaded casettes, but I've seem to be noticing this problem increasingly with my bulk loaded film. My question is, Is this caused by a slightly bent casette creating some sort of tension and causing the camera to trigger rewind? Or is the film advance in my camera starting to die? The camera was in mint condition when I bought it, apart from a strange smell, but I have no way of telling how many rolls of film were run through it (or do I?).

I suppose I could circumvent this problem by turning off automatic rewind in my camera and shooting over it, but the last thing i'd want to do is damage my film advance.

2. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Two answers, try insulating tape around your cassettes or take the camera to a sex therapist

3. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1) Sacrifice a roll and see how much resistance the cassettes really offer.

2) Why would you want auto-rewind on anyway (o.k., I guess fast-action PJ types might...)?

3) If a stiff cassette action could damage an F6, then Nikon doesn't know how to make cameras properly! ;-)

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Auto wind mechanisms work on inertia so a tight film in reloadable cassette will cause the mechanism to rewind, the answer is to only use new manufacturers films.

5. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you think the problem could be solved by switching over to plastic cassettes?

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It might work to use plastic cassettes it's worth giving a try.