Prescysol shelf life

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by RobertP, Dec 19, 2008.

1. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I was going through the chemical cabinet and found some Prescysol developer from formulary. This is two bottles of concentrate one small bottle of solution A and a larger bottle of solution B. These are unopened but probably 2 years old. Does anyone know the shelf life of these concentrates? Thanks

2. Stoo Batchelor

Stoo Batchelor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If open, Prescysol has a shelf life of at least six months, but in my experience it will last a lot longer, up to a year if an anti-oxidation spray has been used. As your bottles have remained unopened, I am sure it will be o,k. All you can do is open the bottles, and if the 'A' solution is a light straw colour, it should be fine, if it has gone brown, dump it. The 'B' solution will last indefinitely, but a 10 second blip in the microwave may be needed.

As always, don't commit a valuable film to it until tested.

Best of luck

Stoo

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  3. Marco S.

Marco S. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In addition to what Stoo said, I decant the "A" solution into a glass amber round with a shot of butane gas.

Regards,

Marco

4. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had an unopened package that was about 18 months old. When I opened bottle A it was treacle colored. It went straight down the sink.