Price for a Super Chromega E

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by timbo10ca, Sep 14, 2008.

1. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking at a well used, but seemingly working Super Chromega E, and I'm wondering what it would be worth. Any ideas? I looked it over but the seller wasn't available for questions. It's dusty and looks very well used (alot of areas of "wear"), but all the mechanics seem smooth, and no gaping holes in the bellows. It has 5x7 and 6x7 cm mixing boxes, a mounted 150mm Rodenstock lens in a cylinder (which has "fog" but doesn't affect it's function, apparently), and another cylinder mount for a second lens, and some other flat lens mounts, various carriers, etc. It powers up but it looks to just have a power supply, not the "chromira" or whatever timer (I'd use my own timer anyway). I'm not sure if it's the E "II" or not. I can't really seem to find much info on the web or at Harry's website (seems to be mostly D 4x5 enlarger stuff there).

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Negotiate

I pulled in a D5 dichroic with a nice 135 lens, 2 mixing boxes, 4x5, 120 square and 35mm neg carriers, as well as a gralab electronic timer for $400, so that is somehwer to start. The E is only of interst if you need the 5x7, so perhaps a big price jump over the D is not worth it for most buyers.

3. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is the chassis silver or black? When facing the enlarger is the 7" dimension of the opening running left to right or forward to back?

4. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

Mine was free, but it cost $100 in gas to drive across Florida to pick it up. Cashwise, I'd say $100 and the seller would be lucky to get anything instead of having to haul it to the dump. (Yes, the world has turned upside down!)

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depending on how bad the fog is, The lens may require repair or replacing. Fog in a lens is never a good thing as it reduces contrast at the least.

6. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A lot depends on your local market. In southern California this would be essentially a give away item, especially with a lens that must be replaced.

7. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe the chassis was black, and the 7" dimension was left to right.

8. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's an E-6. Most likely with a super chromega ii E head. Essentially the same innards as the 4x5 head except it's a little larger. If you're into 5x7 or 6x17 I'd jump on it if I were you. There's really nothing that can go wrong with this enlarger besides general wear and tear. Parts are readily available. Shares most part numbers with the D-5. I reconditioned my head (swapped out filters and fan) using a $40 4x5 super chromega ii purchased off ebay. Far more even source than anything produced by aristo. The only thing better in this size would be a durst 138 w/ a cls1000 head. Considering the rarity of 5x7 enlargers I'd think $200-$500 would be a fair asking price. If you pull the trigger get a wall mount plus brace from Harry - far superior to the funny little baseboard mount.

9. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the very informative reply. This is good to know.

Tim

10. DeBone 75

DeBone 75 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just recently bought an 10X10 Chromega Dicro II F with a 300mm Schnieder lens in very good condition, for $250.00 on ebay. I was the only bidder. Sold originally for $27000.00.

11. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a PDF of the Chromega F manual, if anyone is interested. Just PM me and I'll send it out.