Price Seem Fair?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jono, Feb 13, 2011.

1. jono

jono Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello, I am thinking about purchasing some LF equipment to get started, and was looking for some feedback, as to whether this is a fair deal, whether it's all necessary, and perhaps what else I may need. Thanks for your time.

wista dx vista VI, excellent shape ($760), Beattie brightscreen ($80), Cambo 45 degree view hood ($135),210/5.6 Schneider Symmar-S normal lens ($300),10 Fidelity Elite Double Cut-Film Holders ($180).

It all totals around $1600. What are your thoughts? thanks!

I posted the same in the "welcome new members" section, but wanted some more feedback. Thank you.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds a bit on the high side.

You don't need the Cambo view hood, Wista's own screen is excellent so a Beattie screen's not needed, and a 210 is quite a long lens for a standard, a 150mm is better. The dark-slides are also expensive.

I've been using a Wista 45DX since 1986 and they are nice cameras

There's better bargains to be had for a complete 5x4 kit.

Ian

3. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I agree with Ian except for the lens. If you are going to have only one lens, the 210 will be the MOST versatile.

4. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought Shen Hao as a kit for a bout $1600 [NEW], including all or most the accessories to start, it is included with a Rodenstock APO Sironar N 150mm, not a bad kit to start with.

5. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The holders seem expensive. I know of some that I suspect are in great condition for $10 apiece. I can't comment on the price, but the 210 mm lens is my favorite. In fact, for the first year of LF photography a 210 was the only lens I owned. That is a personal choice though. 150 works best for Ian, it might for you as well.

6. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't forget that you will need a sturdy tripod, a decent loupe and a focusing cloth. I would also go with the 210 lens. Film holders are about $30 new so if those are not in the greatest shape maybe the seller will cut the price a little. He/she may not want to break-up the package so if the hood and screen are not needed you may be able to trade or sell them.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

7. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Were I buying it here in the US I would consider it too expensive. I wouldn't pay more than $600 for a Wista in excellent condition. One can find excellent 210mm lenses for $200 or less and film holders for $5-$10 each without trouble. The price on the Brightscreen seems reasonable to me and in my experience (with other cameras, not the Wista) is worth it. I don't like and don't use hoods, so won't comment on the price there.

Mike

8. goldenimage

goldenimage Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes i think the price is a bit high as well, a 210 fujinon in great condition sold a couple of weeks ago here on apug for 190.00, the holders seem pretty expensive as well, not sure if thats a good deal on the camera or not, but i bought my shen hao about a year ago brand new for around 650, i think i would shop around a bit longer.

9. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

It also sounds on the high side to meas well. Give Jim at Midwest Photo a call and see what kind of used kit he can get you into for quite a bit less than that price.