Pricing Toyo 45a

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jbcima, Jun 14, 2012.

1. jbcima

jbcima Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been on the lookout for a Toyo 45a of any quality. Saw one on Adorama for $300 with pinholes in the bellows but didn't buy it in time.

I have the opportunity to buy one with the following characteristics:
    - Looks new, barely if at all used.
    - revolving back
    - seemingly no ground glass
    - The bellows fold up but definitely have been folded wrong and are slightly crumpled.

That said, he was looking for $1500 for this :blink:. He saw the new prices on the Toyo site and I guess just assumed... what is a *cough* more reasonable price point?

Alternatively, if anyone knows where I can score a cheap used one ($300) with shoddy bellows let know. Thanks. (hopefully this is the right forum)

2. randyB

randyB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might check with Jim at Midwest Photo, thats where I got mine at a good price. RandyB

3. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's WAY too high for a used A. I got my AII for half that in used but good condition with a new factory installed bellows. Keep your eyes open and check over at the LFF classifieds.

4. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    KEH is currently listing a 45A graded EX for $819.

5. jbcima

jbcima Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    thanks for the suggestions. I don't have access to LFF classifieds yet, still got a few more days until. Like I said, I'm ideally looking for a fixer upper, so $819 is a little high.

6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought a 45A a little while ago and found that $600-650 for a body in excellent condition was the market price. Maybe $750 if it had lots of lensboards and film holders, or was a 45A-II or 45AX.

I posted a WTB on LFPF and got 3 decent offers over the course of about 2 weeks.