Print Auction to benefit ill photographer

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by WarEaglemtn, Mar 15, 2006.

1. WarEaglemtn

WarEaglemtn Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Multi Format
    Help a fellow photog via Rocky Mountain News print auction
    Joe Mahoney, Photographer
    Denver | CO | United States | Posted: 8:35 PM on 03.13.06
    ->> [Disclaimer: I posted this a bit earlier with a very SPAM-like title that I know would make me ignore the posting. With many apologizes to the admins (Couldn't find a way to edit my original post...) I'm going to whack the board again and hope the post now has a more relevant title. I know you guys can't be that indifferent toward helping a good cause! ;-) ]

Greetings Sportsshooter-ites,

One of my colleagues at the Rocky Mountain News, Steve Nickerson, is battling a rare and life-threatening form of the disease Scleroderma. He has recently found a very promising treatment but the catch is that it is ungodly expensive. Unfortunately, the insurance company WON'T cover the treatments.

Our staff has been working on staging a print auction with all proceeds going toward Steve's treatment fund. So I'm putting a shout out to all you folks who'd like to contribute a photo (or photos) to the cause. Any image that you are proud of and more specifically will generate a high bid is welcome. To date we have a number of Pulitzer-winning images, work from Eugene Richards, Jim Natchwey, Joe Rosenthal and many others, but more are needed. (Note: Prints can't be returned if they don't sell.)

The event is March 26, but we'd like to get prints by March 23rd. Here is a link to the "event page" for the auction:

Ship what you have to:
    Dennis Schroeder
    Photography Department
    The Rocky Mountain News
    400 W. Colfax Avenue
    Denver, Colo 80204

Here is a story about Steve at

Thank you VERY MUCH and email me if you have any questions
    -- Joe Mahoney Staff Photographer/The Rocky Mountain News

(PS: I'll have to leave it to anyone contributing to get clearances from any league or team regarding this kind of 're-sale.' I'm waiting an answer from the NFL on something I'd like to donate.)
  2. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Feb 16, 2005
    Multi Format
    My God, what a horrific disease! Best of luck with the auction and my thoughts are with Mr. Nickerson as well as his family.
  3. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Dec 4, 2004
    San Francisc
    8x10 Format
    A photo from me ships tomorrow. Good luck!