Print space NYC

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by michaelsalomon, Apr 13, 2006.

1. michaelsalomon

michaelsalomon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wasn't sure where to post this thread, but It concerns darkroom space, so here it is.

Has anyone in the nyc area had any experience with a place in manhattan called print space? I just found them on the web, they rent darkrooms for doing black and white as well as color printing, they have a c-41 machine as well as imacon scanners for rent. Seems like a good set up, but i'd like to hear anyones comments who have been there.

Cheers,
    Mike

here is a link to the place in case anyone is interested:

http://www.printspacenyc.com/

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I haven't used it myself, but I've only heard good things about them.

3. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If their website is any indication, this is one helluva decent place to do your work. And the color print simulator is an amazing introduction to use of color adjustments for people like me who haven't a clue. Great site if nothing else!!

4. Bob Marvin

Bob Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My photography group(Ft. Greene Photography Org.) sometimes has group printing sessions at Print Space.I've only gone once (I have a home darkroom) but my impression is that they have very good equipment and its a pleasant place to work.

5. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The B&W section appears to be struggling. I've just been told that they have closed the two communal darkrooms (six enlargers, four enlargers) and reduced the times for the four private rooms: weekdays only, 12 to 7.

Not good news.

I get my C-41 done there, and hire the 949 scanner for my LF negs. The color floor is busy. It's a very friendly place with helpful people.

Best,
    Helen

6. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Mike,

Thanks for this post. I've been looking for a place where I can scan my stuff at a reasonable price.

Regards, Art.

7. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Art,

PM me if you want info about scanning there (what they've got, what you need, exactly how fast that 949 machine is etc.). I guess that this isn't the place to discuss it in public. Apart from LF, I also use it for scanning Kodachromes at the resolution they deserve. See the snap of Bhagirathi Parbat and "K64 Example" in the link below.

Best,
    Helen

8. Imke

Imke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Mike,

I used to print color there when I lived in NY, of all the rental darkrooms I liked it the best. Good location, extra-helpful staff, well maintained equipment, and a really nice place to hang out (which is important if you're stuck printing for 6+ hours).
    Highly recommended.

Best,
    Imke