printfile negative sheets

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by BetterSense, Feb 16, 2009.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just realized that the printfile sheets I use, only hold 5 strips of 5 frames each. Thus, I can't fit a 36 exposure roll in. I'm not sure whether to

1. Purposely waste a frame from the roll to prevent having single frames that can't be organized properly

2. Count on having at least one frame per roll being an "oops", and tossing that frame...probably going to be the case

3. Slip one extra frame in doubled-up with one of the strips. Which still means I can't contact print properly.

2. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I usually get more than 36 exposures on a 36 exp roll. I just cut the strips so I don't have any single frames. Usually the last two are cut into say a 3 and a 4 for the 37 exposures (6 per strip for me).

3. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Print File makes at least two different models of its 35mm negative pages. You have the 6-row 5-frame per row model that fits into a standard 3-ring binder. What you want is the 6-row 6-frame per row model. It will overhang outside of a standard binder, but fits nicely inside a photo album.

4. msage

msage Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They also make a model that take 7 strips of 6 frames. They don't fit a standard 3-ring binder tho.
    Michael

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I add a couple of blank frames to the first strip, if needed, to get the film on eight strips. I surrender to the fact that a roll will spill over onto the next page. Really, it doesn't matter much.

6. yardkat

yardkat Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm someone who doesn't like the leftover pieces, so I usually just ditch at 35 exposures. Except sometimes I get carried away and forget. But I like it all in one file, all on one contact sheet. We all have our quirks. :wink:

7. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, for B&W, I like to contact print the whole sheet to a piece of 8x10 paper. I couldn't do that in any organized fashion if each roll was split across multiple pages.

8. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This doesn't add up. 5 strips of 5 frames is only 25 negatives. Don't you mean 7 strips of 5 frames?

9. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yes

10. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is nice to have a whole film on a single page. Unless your camera has unusually wide frame spacing for some reason, the Printfile 35-7BXW pages take 7 strips of 6 negs each. 42 frames is plenty for a roll of 36, no matter how good you are at squeezing extra frames out of a roll!

11. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 7X5 sheets are designed to fit nicely on an 8X10 sheet of paper for contact prints.

The 7X6 won't work for 8X10 contact prints.

-Fred

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
  12. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They will if you use bigger paper, although it costs a little more.

13. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've recently taken up the habit of keeping an extra page just for the two extras that I collect from each roll. By slipping the bits in from each side of the sleeve, I can print the bits from 14 different rolls. It makes for an interesting contact sheet when I gather enough to print a whole page. A couple of shots of SFX, a couple of HP5+ etc.

Of course, my teacher told us to quit at 35, but I never remember to stop...

Cheers,
    Cheers,

14. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've recently taken up the habit of keeping an extra page just for the two extras that I collect from each roll. By slipping the bits in from each side of the sleeve, I can print the bits from 14 different rolls. It makes for an interesting contact sheet when I gather enough to print a whole page. A couple of shots of SFX, a couple of HP5+ etc.

Tom - I do the same thing. The important thing is to remember to label all those little bits from the original rolls they came from....

Conversely, since I use the contact sheet print file sheets I'll just stick the extra frames in the pouch for the contact sheet. Like some of the others who have posted here, my last two strips will be four and three, respectively. The only down side is not being able to print those extra frames on the contact sheet.

15. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use two file sheets per roll. So what if there is some unused space....it's not illegal and no one gets hurt.

16. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No need to waste the space. Start the next roll with the first empty row. :smile: