Printing 6X6

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ektagraphic, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Guys-
    I was wondering, when working with 6x6, what is the most standard way to print? To print on a paper in full frame and just leave the boarder around the image so that it can be put in a stadard frame, to print but crop after printing to get a square print or do some people crop in the darkroom turning the image into the rectangular format?

Thanks

Patrick

2. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I no longer shoot 6x6, but when I print these negs, I always look at the result I wish to achieve.

If it all works well, I'll print full frame and ensure that the image is "weighted" nicely to the size paper I am printing on. I'm not really one for "exactly in the middle" images when I print my 6x6 (sometimes it's the same for my 6x7 and 35mm also). If I need to crop - that will alter how I compose the final print on the paper - more often than not it will still be "weighted", just a question of placement.

Everyone will have their own preferences and that will definitely show in the answers you will get!! :D

3. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Personally, I either print to a square format or crop to a more standard size (8x10 or whatever), depending on the image. Square frames aren't available in the local drug stores, but they aren't hard to find online. I don't see much point to printing full-frame to a rectangular sheet of paper (unless it's for convenience when printing and it's to be trimmed later). Something like that would just look weird when framed, IMHO. I'm sure somebody will disagree, though....

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When I start doing portraits, I guess I should ask the client how they would like it? I guess there is no standard way?

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 6x6 shots are cropped square with my print easel to the edge of the image leaving a 1" white border. I never crop any format further.

Ian

6. Brandon D.

Brandon D. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree.

If it's personal work though, I'd leave it there unless I had a compelling reason to remove it. Either way, I don't think it's a really big deal at all. The image should probably have the ability to look great either way. :smile:

7. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So is the result a square paper or rectangular one?

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My cropping choices are generally dictated by the image. Some images can work printed either square or rectangular. For those, I let the proposed final use dictate the crop.

My framing choices are dictated by the intended use of the print. This includes albums.

Sometimes you can solve any problems that arise with custom mats.

If you know what the intended use for your prints will be (e.g. rectangular frames) you can take that into account when composing your shots.

9. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Custom mats are a great idea.

10. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I strive not to adhere to standards when originality is the primary objective. The shape of the negative should have no bearing on the shape of the final print. From a 6x6cm negative I might choose to print for a rectangular, square, panoramic, circular, or even an oval presentation. As others have mentioned, the elements within the chosen composition should dictate the size and shape of the final print.

11. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I totally agree but if I give square prints as an output, I don't want people to run into a problem when wanting to frame or something and then coming back to me angry.

12. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When i had a square image I would use a square frame, but can't find neislson frames very easy any more.Do crop a lot to rectangular,depends on photo.
    Mike

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cut to square and use the bits as the test strips, works s well, there's no wastage.

Then I matt & frame in rectangular frames for my own exhibition sets, however I've started to frame square for one off print sales.

Ian

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I print full frame on 8x10 paper and trim edges to about a 1/2". I am set up to do all my own matting, mounting and framing, having worked in a high-end frame shop while in school really helps on that end. :smile:

and I do love a square format in a rectangular frame, bottom-weighted.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
  16. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Square pictures in rectangular frames look great. If they are top weighted.

Just tell people up-front what to expect format wise.

I usually crop however I see fit based on what the picture calls for. But, I have a fondness for the 3:4 ratio in portraits, which works out to 6x8" or 9x12" with exactly 1" border on 8x10" and 11x14" paper.
    The attached print is 6x8" on 8x10" paper, cropped from a 120 6x6 neg in the Hasselblad.
    I mount rectangular and square prints top weighted in rectangular frames. I rarely use square frames.

- Thomas

Attached Files:

17. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any of the above. I have also printed full-frame with black pillar- or letter-boxes so that the image would fit in a standard matte. It might be unorthodox but if Mom can't put it in a standard size matte/frame it will never get framed.

18. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually print 6x6 so the larger borders are on the sides of the paper. When framing I frequently use a vertical rectangular frame and make the mat with top and sides the same and have the excess mat at the bottom.

19. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In general, I print what I like out of the negative, but assuming my neurons were firing when I composed in the viewfinder, I usually print 6x6 as square. The beauty of this is that I can precut the paper to approximately square and use the offcut for test strips. I have varied over time, but generally frame the square print optically centered in a rectangular frame, long dimension vertical.

But there's no law about it! :D

[​IMG]

20. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I do as DWThomas. I make the tops and sides have the same border, and the bottom comes out to what ever size is leftover on the standard sized frame. This creates a very balanced look for square images (in my opinion).

Also, since I float mount the prints (dry mounted print is smaller than the mat opening) I leave extra space on the bottom for the signature, again with the top and sides being equal.

21. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dont like cropping in the darkroom, I compose full frame for whichever format I'm shooting, and print accordingly. If you are shooting portraits, show the client samples of how YOU like to display, and sell them on your work. I've not had a customer mad because a photo wasn't what they expected. Your customer should know what they are going to get up front. After all, they are paying you for your vision.

22. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I compose to the viewfinder frame therefore 35mm tend to get printed 12"x18", 6x6 tend to get printed square either 11"x11" for black and white or 12"x12" for color. On the rare time I have not filled the frame, I print to make the best composition ===> standard dimensions be damned.

Steve

23. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tend to cut my own mats, so it's easier to do what I want. FWIW, you can get frames intended for square photos at Michaels and ACMoore craft stores.

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also Aaron Brothers Art and Framing

25. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope you will find this useful:

http://dlkcollection.blogspot.com/

At the bottom of each blog page you can click on "older posts" to review even more blog entries. Within the blog there are numerous images of photography exhibits which you can click-on to view larger. It's a great way to see framing and presentation techniques currently used by some photographers and galleries. The site is regularly updated with new entries.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
  26. Kvistgaard

Kvistgaard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I disagree!:D I like to print square format on a rectangular sheet, leaving the same border width along both sides and the top. I think this looks quite nifty when framed.