Printing colour with a BW enlarger

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by tomalophicon, Aug 2, 2011.

1. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Is this possible, just using the multigrade filters, to make 'acceptable' colour prints from negatives with a BW enlarger?

2. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are available color correction filters for condenser type enlargers. Beseler used to make them for their enlargers. To see what they look like check out eBay item #260826156229.

3. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Interesting, thanks for that.

4. John Meyer

John Meyer Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Or you can use Illfords Ilfochrome filters like i use and they work just fine
    Can still get them new or used
    John

5. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last time I was there, www.photocentral.ca has some on their clearance table, email them for price and availability.

6. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I used to use a B&W Fujimoto 4x5 enlarger with Ilfochrome colour filters to do my Ilfochrome prints. Never had a problem.
    Mike

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back in the day a "Color" enlarger just had a filter drawer. The complete filter sets should be available but may be hard to come by these days; dichroic heads were an expensive luxury! You certainly don't want to use B&W multigrade filters for color printing.

8. tokam

tokam Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a set of Unicolour filters designed to fit in the tray of the enlarger. Also have a Unicolour colour print matrix which assists in determining the filters to use. (You place it on top of a sheet of paper and use a diffuser, supplied, to expose the paper through the filter matrix. After processing look for the grey segment and follow a chart to seee what filter adjustments are necessary. Anyway these are in Sydney, Aust and you are welcome to them for the cost of postage, The filters come in a metal box.Haven't been used or opened in 25 years. Just hope the dyes in the filters are stable.

9. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bear in mind that color papers are designed for tungsten illumination. If you have a cold light head on your enlarger, you'll have problems correcting for it.

Ed

10. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I started with colour this way. I 'rebought a filter set last year to remind me how it all used to be. Yes, the old unicolour matrix I have looks to be faded, but gets you going in the right direction.
    Kodak and beselar (I think) made similar things

A small calculator to figure the new exposure time when swapping out filters was the best tool, yet biggest pains with discrete filters. The Kodak print viewing filters had a cardborad insert that has the filter factors of 05 to 50 of each colour printed on it.

As other posts have noted, the print viewing filters are a very powerful tool when you are starting to learn how to print colour. A printed ring around is close to as useful, but Ai still likelt the viewing filters more.

11. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have several sets of color printing filters if you can't find them someplace else.

They are the 3x3 size.

12. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks for all the help everyone.