Printing Medium Format with Omega DII

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Huram, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Huram

Huram Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey Ya'll

I have an Omega DII (not D2) enlarger with a 3.5" condenser used for printing 35mm. I want to print 6x6 BW negatives, but this will require a 4.5" or 6" condenser (I do not have either).

1. Instead of buying a 4.5" or 6" condenser, could I just buy a D2 lamphouse and variable condenser head and put it on my DII frame?

2. Would buying a variable condenser head make sense, or should I just get a 4.5 or 6" condenser for the DII?

3. Would anyone be willing to sell me a 4.5 or 6" condenser so I can print some MF film?

Any thoughts would greatly help! Thanks.

Huram

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    check with harry at classic enlargers, he will let you know

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am fairly sure that this will work. The only head interchangeability issue is if you want to put a Chromega D color head on, then you need a different set of levers to accommodate the larger head.

Another option is to put in an Aristo cold light head (unless you have a particular preference for condensors. These aren't too expensive new from B&H, and it fits inside the 6" condensor housing. I use one.

4. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

The heads will interchange easily. Probably the best route as the proper condensers are harder to find.

Don`t forget you will need an 1 in or 1 1/2 cone for the lens.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You only need a cone for lenses longer than 105mm, so a flat board should be fine for 6x6 with a lens in the 75-105mm range. The medium sized cone is for lenses of around 135mm, and the long cone is for lenses of 150mm.

6. dr bob

dr bob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice to see someone else with the ancient DII. I use mine with 120 negatives exactly as David states above.

7. Christopher Colley

Christopher Colley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    though not exactly cheap, I would second the aristo cold light suggestion. I have one in my omega DII and it is great to work with.

probably much easier to get than finding good condition condensor lenses as well......

8. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Harry at Classic Enlargers has the condenser glass for D2V (and, I think, the complete variable condenser upgrades as well). The glass is $200, new old stock -- which is the only reason I haven't already bought a set; it's the only thing I'm missing to be able to switch back and forth from cold light to condenser.