Printing-Out Paper (POP) and TF-4, KRST; also neg similarity to split contrast negs

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by kwmullet, Dec 10, 2005.

1. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Jan 3, 2004
    Denton, TX,
    Multi Format
    I'm about to get some Centennial POP and I already have TF-4 fixer, will that work with it?

Also, I've seen the toning sequence at, but since I could use it for other things, I'd like to know if someone has used both Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner and [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gold Chloride Toner and can give me their impressions.

From the above sequence, I like somewhere between 30 seconds and 1 minute for some portraits, and probably closer to the six minute tone for everything else.

Also -- for those that have done both POP and split contrast printing, can you characterize the diffeernce between negs that lend themselves to POP and those that would print well using split contrast printing? I'm hoping they'd be one in the same.

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Sep 9, 2002
    Bergen, Norw
    Large Format
    There's lots of good advice on that website, inluding choise of fixer.

I can confirm what they write, I have on one occasion used very very dilute TF-4 as a bleach to clear up the highlights.

If you can print a negative and get decent results using only soft filtration (or grade 0 graded), it will be usable for POP - but maybe a little on the soft side. Pyro negatives are a different matter, and varies a lot with film, developer and whatever. You'll have to do your own testing for that.