Printing pano's, another try...

Discussion in 'Panoramic Cameras and Accessories' started by JBrunner, Jan 10, 2007.

1. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I posted this earlier, but something went wrong....
    I am going to start printing some of my 6x17cm negs, but I have no idea what standard panoramic print and framing sizes are, or do I just print and mount whatever size I want, and whom ever gets it is stuck with a custom frame job?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2007
  2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think they're just going to get stuck, unless you want to mat with seriously fat top-and-bottom borders. I did one for myself, which I think looks very nice, of a pano shot on a Hasselblad Xpan. It is printed to approx 8x20 proportions, and matted to 20x24. Otherwise, you end up custom framing to 12x24 or 14x28 for an 8x20 print.

3. mark

mark Member

I have seen 8x20 frames in Walmart with a 7x17 window. I'll be damned if they were not of a pretty decent quality too. Sooooo there has to be something out there somewhere.

4. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ok, I'm going to bump this up one more time. I'm gathering that aside from contact printing sizes (4x10, 7x17, etc) that there isn't really a standard print size for panoramics.....

5. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just my opinion, but if I were enlarging panoramics, I'd just choose the size and mat options that I liked and not worry too much about conforming to a standard size. Not all prints will work in a standard size frame and I think the people buying panoramics prints will expect to have to get a custom frame.

6. mark

mark Member

Wondered around a frame shop yesterday and I think you are right. Outside the standard contact print sizes there was nothing. I think Travis is right. It is going to have to be a custom job.

7. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I went to a frame shop and the premade pano frames they have were 8x20 which seems to confirm that size as something that is being "mass" produced. The precut was designed for 3 4x6s' tho.