Printing with Unsharp Mask - Worth doing for 35mm?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Hamster, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Hamster

Hamster Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I just read an article on printing with unsharp mask, find it interesting and would really like to try it. But the question I would like to ask is, as far as I can see, most of what I can find were related with LF printing.

The largest format I can shoot is 6x9, and for experiment, 35mm will be much easier and cheaper. But is it practical taking into consideration issues with accurate registration and grain size on such a small negative?

It is worth doing even for 6x6 or 6x9 even?

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi There

using a unsharp mask with 35 mm is totally ok, just be very careful with dust and all the rules apply that would be in effect for larger film.

Donald Miller has a lot of great threads , posts and an article on unsharp masking and I am sure he would be of great help if you run into any snags. I have not done masking for a few years and since I am not actively masking film I think my advice would be from memory, but he is actually presently doing this.
    have fun

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Contrast masking for Ilfochromes from 35mm slides is a fairly standard technique, so why not other kinds of masks?

4. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am sure that doing registration will be much more difficult with 35 then LF.

5. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Registering 35mm unsharp masks are no harder or easier than large format from my recollection.

6. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dear Hamster,

Give it a try. I think you'll love it. "Post Exposure" has a nice description for creating them.

Neal Wydra

7. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Hamster!
    Give it a go. I've tried it and it's not too difficult. The previous advice about dust on the neg is entirely appropriate; the unsharp mask will accentuate these somewhat. If you've got a lightbox, then the whole registration process is made that much easier. Personally, I used Maco 'genius' sheet film (great name isn't it!) and devved it in dilute exhausted Neutol. I got good results.