prints charming

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Black Dog, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was wondering about the possibility of building my own archival print washer-does anyone have any tips/plans to share? TIA

2. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I built one years ago patterned after so many of the vertical slot types. It was okay, but never as good and eventually I threw it out and bought a Cascade washer.

3. galyons

galyons Member

Hi,
    There is a thread on DYI washers in this forum. Search for Archival Print Washer Kit. In the thread, Jeremy Moore posted this link to a vendor: http://fineartphotosupply.com/printwasherpage.htm. It provides the "insides", you provide a 10g aquarium tank.

Looks pretty easy to do, even without the kit.

Cheers,
    Geary

4. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is the link to the DYI Print washer discussion :Print Washer

A good discussion with some detailed information.

5. Doug Bennett

Doug Bennett Member

You could build a print washer. You could also eliminate the need for one. By using an alkaline fixer, you eliminate the need for long wash times (and the need for hypo clear). I've been using Formulary TF-4 fixer for a couple of years now. They recommend a wash time of 15-25 minutes for fiber paper. I tend to give prints a long soak and then a short wash. I've seen no downside whatsoever.

Just a thought.

6. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the moment, I have a book from my local library called "The Photographer's Build-It-Yourself Book" by Tom Branch, published in 1982 by Amreican Photographic Book Publishing. It gives detailed instructions on building an archival print washer. Maybe you can find this book at a library.

7. Peter Hogan

Peter Hogan Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I built a couple of my own, depending on the size of the paper (no use using a 24 x 12 washer to wash 8 x 10) I got some off-cuts of material cut cheaply, and glued them up. Ten years on, they're still working perfectly. Instead of paying £300 each, they cost about £30....If anyone wants more detailed info, mail me at peter@monochromephotography.com with your address and I'll send you instructions.