Prinz 75mm enlarger lens

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Ajwan, May 1, 2009.

1. Ajwan

Ajwan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all,

I've found a fairly cheap Prinz Autocrat 75mm 3.5 enlarger lens and I'd like to know if anybody out there knows anything about it. I got not long ago an Ilford Sporti medium format camera and thought I could get this bargain if it's worth it.

Thanks a lot!

2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Prinz lenses came on the enlargers of the same name; enlargers made by Fujimoto, I believe. I expect your Prinz lens is a triplet and would give acceptable results stopped down to f8 or f 11l. Try counting the reflections of an overhead light to ascertain the number of elements.

unless it is very cheap, my advice would be to put your coin into a better lens.

3. Ajwan

Ajwan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey, thanks John.

The seller asks for 19£. The Ilford camera I got is not very sharp either but I think with the proper subjects it could add a nice atmosphere. That's why I wouldn't go for a more expensive lens just know. I might go for it.

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Ivan

4. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think nineteen quid for that lens is outrageously over priced. You should be able to buy a clean Nikkor or some such for that kind of sterling. You can also breathe tobacco smoke on a decent lens if you need a softer image. Or just print through a piece of nylon hosiery on ring made from a metal coat hanger.