Pro Labs left.

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by waynecrider, Feb 23, 2009.

1. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm just putting this out there for anyone looking for a Pro Lab to do E6. My recent explorations to find surviving labs showed many out of the business. If I had to depend on quick turnaround without a local good lab I'd be shooting digital.

Florida:

Fort Lauderdale; www.chromatekphoto.com All formats. $8.50 for 36exp in plastic. (sales said their doing alot of out of state business and E6 processing is the bulk of their business.)

Hollywood; www.dalelabs.com 35mm- $10 36exp. 120- $6.50. (free mailers available)

2. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  4. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    And in between FL and NY is Raleigh NC where J. W. Photo Labs is still making several E-6 and C-41 runs a day. They do all my 5x4 C-41 work. They run the test strips, keep everything clean, keep it all replenished, all that Q-Lab stuff. And yes, their website is, um, less than ideal. The best way to deal with them is the telephone.

5. kswatapug

kswatapug Advertiser

6. Stephen Schoof

Stephen Schoof Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll put in a plug for The Slideprinter (AKA Denver Digital Imaging) in Colorado. I THINK their E-6 is same day if you're local, or two weeks if you're shipping across the country like me. Shipping is free both ways if you use their mailers, and the staff has always been helpful (over 15 years and however many thousand rolls, they've messed up one roll of mine, but were very straightforward and made it up with some free printing).

www.theslideprinter.com/index.htm

7. JMC1969

JMC1969 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Florida as well is the company I work for FotoTechnika Fine Art Imaging. We are in Jacksonville, Fl and seem to be the last of our kind for many, many miles in all directions. We are the last place to keep E6 and the only place to still process 110, 127, 135, 120, 220, 4x5, 8x10 in C41, E6, & B&W all in Dip-n-Dunk machines "In-House"(B&W is a sink line). As of October of last year we became the last place you can walk in off the street and purchase Pro films, and we keep everything we process on hand w/ the exception of 8x10.

Please check us out if you are in town or just want to see what we offer. http://www.fototechnika.com

Thank You,
    Jody

8. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Jody for that information. What is the usual turn around time?

9. JMC1969

JMC1969 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Wayne,

I process E6 on a daily basis and usually the same for C41, so next day or the day after depending when it gets here and how much we have to do. B&W is only a once a week run at the moment, but that business seems to be picking up a little bit as of late. If it continues, we will add more runs.

Thanks for the interest and the thread,
    Jody

10. bobdole369

bobdole369 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll plug Dale Labs - we used them today for a digital print 8x10. They do great work!

Chromatek in Fort Lauderdale did a very good job on several rolls for my wife. Only doing one run a day - so if they are dropped off in the morning you can get em by 5, otherwise its next day.

11. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use Dale for all of my work (except Kodachrome processing). They do great E-6 and C-41 processing and printing. Great reprints from slides and negs! They may be a little expensive but they are worth it!! They also have great customer service.

12. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What is the name of the lab in Syracuse?

13. lynxkcg

lynxkcg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you made your choice yet?

16. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Chromatek died. Another one gone. Makes you wonder if any LF E6 or C41 film is sold?

17. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Santa Fe Camera Center in Santa Fe, NM sold a fair amount of 4x5 color films to the local artists. I never bought any, since I shoot 35 and 120 but it was always available in the fridge there and I saw others buying it often when I lived in Santa Fe.

As for processing, Santa Fe has a good pro lab that does same day E6

http://www.visionsphotolab.com

I still send my stuff to Visions, even though I moved back to Indiana. All the pro labs here closed.

18. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. B&Wpositive

B&Wpositive Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In NJ:

Technical Photo: http://www.technicalphoto.com/

They were the first custom lab in NJ to offer E6 (since 1976).

They also offer drum scanning and film output of digital files for those doing projects requiring hybrid methods. The owner is without a doubt a perfectionist among perfectionists when it comes to attention to quality.

20. JMC1969

JMC1969 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I came across this yesterday while visiting in North Carolina.

Ball Photo Supply in Asheville, NC:
    http://www.ballphotosupply.com/

I had to drive an hour and a half to get there, but it was worth it since I left my changing bag at home in Florida. Very nice people and lots (and I mean Lots) of used 35mm gear. A little MF (sweat Pentax 645 w/ 3 lenses). I didn't ask, but it sure did have the feel like they do some repair work also.

21. 6x9

6x9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    NCPS gets all of my film. Best scans yet.

22. stevebrot

stevebrot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In the Portland, Oregon area we have several options beyond the minilabs at Walgreens, Target, and Costco. In order of decreasing service level:

Citizens Photo...sheet film and E6!! (http://www.citizensphoto.com/)
    Blue Moon Camera and Machine...optical prints!! (http://www.bluemooncamera.com/)
    U-develop/Digicraft (http://www.udevelop.com)
    Picture Perfect (http://www.pictureperfect-pdx.com)
    Pro Photo Supply (http://www.prophotosupply.com)

I believe that all of the above provide processing by mail. There may be others that I am unaware of.

Steve

P.S. From the other comments on this thread, I guess we here in the Pacific Northwest are particularly blessed. We can still get film at drug and variety stores, mini-lab processing is easy to find (there are four mini-labs within five miles of my home), and there is a choice of pro labs in the major cities.

23. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  24. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm

That's cheap for 35 mounted. At my local lab, Dales, the charge is $10 + $2.75 shipping. Mailers to send in tho are free. Whats your extra charges?

25. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    In Chicago, CSW Film Systems (warning: annoying music when you load that page.)

Because CSW only does dip and dunk, and I need roller transport processing for my Canon bulk back cartridges, I use these guys for those and have been very happy: E Six Labs in Atlanta

Duncan

26. Brian Puccio

Brian Puccio Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I posted on this forum a little while ago, just started using them, I mail them about 6 rolls a month and they're fantastic. I don't get my slides mounted, I prefer to scan them, but $5 cannot be beat, even with local shops where I wouldn't have to pay shipping.