Problem with fill volume on Jobo ATL2+

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Pasto, Dec 15, 2009.

  1. Pasto

    Pasto Member

    Messages:
    623
    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2004
    Location:
    Montreal
    Shooter:
    Large Format
    I noticed that the chemistry bottles on my ATL2+ have more chemistry than expected at the end of a processing run. The Jobo seems to be pumping less chemistry into the drums/tanks than is set on the control panel. I confirmed this by running a one step clear water process at each of the volume settings (e.g., 60, 110, 140, etc.), and measuring the reclaimed solution. At each volume, the reclaimed solution volume was much less than the set fill level. The fill quantity ranges from 12% to 30% less than what is requested. The manual indicates that the fill quantity could vary from +10% to -5%. My fill quantities are clearly outside of this range. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any solutions??

    Thanks
    Luigi
     
  2. Dave Dawson

    Dave Dawson Member

    Messages:
    178
    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Location:
    London UK
    Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Luigi, What volume of chemistry is programmed into each program? (turn the red knob to SET and see by pushing the down botton repeatidly)

    Cheers Dave
     
  3. MikeSeb

    MikeSeb Member

    Messages:
    1,062
    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2005
    Location:
    Prospect (Lo
    Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If this machine uses air to pump the chemistry under pressure out of each bottle, then you could have a faulty air pump or leaky seals somewhere along the route of the air tubing.
     
  4. Pasto

    Pasto Member

    Messages:
    623
    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2004
    Location:
    Montreal
    Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dave, I ran a one step program and then manually set the volume at each of the preset amounts. So for example, I created a new program with one processing step, bottle 1, and with fill volume of 60ml. I then measured the reclaimed chemistry. In each case (i.e., at each of the preset volumes), the measured volume was significantly lower than the set volume. In some cases by more than 30%.

    I only tried this with bottle 1. Mike, you may be correct regarding leaky seals or faulty pump. Logically I should try the same test with the other five chemical bottles. If it is a pressure leak, then the volume extracted from some of the other bottles should be fine. If it's a pump problem, I think I would expect the same problem regardless of the bottle. Does this sound loigical? I'll give it a shot this coming weekend and post my findigs.

    Thanks,
    Luigi
     
  5. Dave Dawson

    Dave Dawson Member

    Messages:
    178
    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Location:
    London UK
    Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Remove all 6 bottles (empty) and position them so they can be submerged in the water jacket (hoses connected) then run the 6 bottle empty option which is selected with the rotary switch.

    Hold each bottle under the water whilst the air pump is running and look for bubbles...This was the only way I disscovered bottle 6 on mine had a damaged thread....Nothing a bit of ptfe plumbers tape didn't sort out.
    Also vaseline the grommets.

    Cheers Dave
     
  6. Pasto

    Pasto Member

    Messages:
    623
    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2004
    Location:
    Montreal
    Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Dave. Before I read your last post I decided to go ahead and see if the fill quantities were OK for the remainig bottles. I just had enough time (before I run to pick-up my daughter at school in 15 minutes) to test bottle 2. The fill quantities at each of the 15 preset amount resulted in fill levels of between 2% and 11% over, with the smallest fill level (i.e., 60ml) being 8% under. Now this is more like it! What's particularly gratifying is that the fill levels are almost always over, which is far better than being under (as I found with bottle 1). I think I'm safe to conclude that the pump is fine and that I have a leak at chemical bottle 1. On close inspection, I think the most likley candidate is the gromet/seal in the center of the lid on bottle 1 (where the temperture probe is inserted). The seal seems loose. Do you think vaseline will do it, or is replacement the safest option (I don't even know if these parts are available)??

    Luigi
     
  7. MikeSeb

    MikeSeb Member

    Messages:
    1,062
    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2005
    Location:
    Prospect (Lo
    Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Luigi, I'd be careful about using vaseline. It may dissolve the grommet, depending on what it's made of. Silicone plumber's grease might be better.

    Parts may be tough to get, although a grommet may be something you could find at an automotive or hardware store.
     
  8. Dave Dawson

    Dave Dawson Member

    Messages:
    178
    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Location:
    London UK
    Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I managed to get 2 replacement air and chemical grommets free from a guy in Germany...I'll try and find his details and PM them to you.

    Yes thinking about it I used silicon grease myself!

    Cheers Dave
     
  9. Pasto

    Pasto Member

    Messages:
    623
    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2004
    Location:
    Montreal
    Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you gentlemen. I'll try silicon grease for now, and hope "the guy from Germany" is still around :smile:

    All the best, Luigi