Problem with Fuji pro 400H

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by darkosaric, Oct 21, 2011.

1. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

my friend just got film from a lab - and results are very bad (no red color at all in fuji film). Please take a look in attached photos. We are wondering is this lab error during developing, or maybe something else? Anybody had bad experience with Fuji pro 400H?

thanks,

Attached Files:

2. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji 400H works fine. Are you sure it is the film/processing that was the problem? Could it just be the scans? Are those lab scans or home scans?

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Home scans (canonscan 8800F), but many other films are scanned recently on this scanner and they are ok. We will try to scan on another scanner - just to be sure.

4. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a CanoScan 9000F myself.

Could be the lab then. I started home C-41 processing last year because the lab results got really bad. They get so few rolls of film now that their results are not that good anymore.

400H is recent film. I shot some expired 400NPH recently and it was fine too so I really doubt it was the film unless you stored it somewhere really warm. Where was it stored?

5. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I just ask him: film was stored on 25-30 Celsius for 3 months (hot south of Croatia)! Usually he was using fuji superia 200 and he never had problems with this temperature - but pro emulsions are more sensitive to heat I think...

6. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shoot slide film, E100VS, Velvia, Provia 400X (which are all pro films), and both of them are stored sometimes for > 1 year at room temperature (which can be >30°C in summer). Never have I seen such a color shift in any of them ...

7. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Low volume at C-41 labs kills quality as chemistry goes off. It's a common problem now. I'd vote for trying another lab that's busier than this one.

8. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My guess, too...looks like a lab issue of some kind. Fuji films are all top quality, and, while it's not ideal to keep a faster Pro version at a higher room temperature for a long time, I really don't think the storage time and temperature which you mention it would produce any significant changes in the result.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would try re-scanning one or two of the shots before deciding - just in case it is a temporary problem with the scanner or software.

10. cs_foto

cs_foto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    white balance

Hi, this seems to be just a 'wrong' white balance setting on the scan...

A very easy and quick grey point balance in photoshop gave me this -attachment-:

What about the rest of the roll? how is it?

Attached Files:

11. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rest of roll is also bad. It is not scanner problem for sure, tested on another scanner also.

12. ehegwer

ehegwer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This color sort of looks like Jose Villa's wedding photography colors- I know he over exposes in camera 1-2 stops. Might that be the case?

13. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you wish, you can post a strip of negs to me and I'll optically print them next to a strip of 400H that I know is fine. Drop me a pm if interested.

14. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think so. He was using auto DX coding, canon EOS 1V, matrix metering.

15. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Negative snap

Attached Files:

16. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I placed a neg strip on my monitor next to the above scan and the colour of the rebate is very close.

17. decolorante

decolorante Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I have read something in the past about a "leuco cyan" problem. It occurs in color negatives processed with bad chemistry and it has not to do with the film; the dye that should come out cyan comes out colorless instead.

Having no cyan in your negatives, it makes sense that you don't have any red in the prints.
    Try searching for this leuco cyan thing. It is said that it is possible to correct, in case you have important negatives.

18. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is not leuco cyan dye.

I suggest placing a known good film and the bad film side by side in the scanner and scanning them in. Then post the scan so that we can see the color of the two outside the frams and the color of the edge markings.

PE