problem with my 500 c/m hasselblad

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by alex1, Jul 6, 2012.

1. alex1

alex1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes i got strange lines on my 120 negative (see atached file), the negatife its self seems ok.
    I recently changed the lightseals (foam and u shaped plastic) on both my A12 and A16 film backs.
    I bought the camera a few months ago and it is +/- 20 jears old.

Can anyone tel me what the problem is ?
    The best thing i can guess that there is something with the mirror..

greatings
    Alex

Attached Files:

2. vedmak

vedmak Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If I am not mistaken, you can lock up mirror when you take shots, see if you keep getting the same ghosting.

3. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I experienced similar ghosting with my Kiev 88 because of camera back metal slide gap. It was leaking light when I move the camera - shake - too much.

May be the camera body to camera back tooths are old and deformed.

I would prefer to cover the external area with a flexible black band and see what happens.

Umut

4. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wouldn't be the mirror, as anything having to do with the mirror would show up as horizontally patterned rather than vertically like what you have. Since your 500CM is not a focal plane shutter, I'd agree with Mustafa that it probably has something to do with the film back (dark slide). Did you have the same issue *before* you changed the seals on both your backs?

I guess another possibility is there's some internal reflection going on in the body; how is your "palpas" coating?

5. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ghosting

I had similar issues with my film back. The seals are going bad. What I did to test my theory was use some black tape to cover the slot where the dark slide enters. Worked like a charm until I could send it in for repairs.

Sean

6. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. alex1

alex1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks to al the reply's !
    The problem is not yet solved but you give me some good ideas .

First i had only the A12 back that came with the camera , i schot a few films and it looked good , then i buyed the A16 back but the light trap whas sticky , so i bought two sets (one spare) of light traps by ebay and replaced the one at the A16. after schooting some more film on the A12 back it gave tipical signs of light leaks on the contact print so i replaced that one too , two films later (one at each back) i noticed these signs.
    Perhaps i did something wrong by placing the light traps ?
    It is not that dificult changing them i noticed...
    @Nick Merritt , i bought the light traps by that blackbird711 person

I will tommorow look at it again and try to do some test ,and maybe take ona apart for seein if anything is wrong

8. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a mirror problem. Period.
    Definitely a light leak problem. Seals, light trap, a problem with the magazines, or since it happens with both magazines a problem with the body seals or body opening.

10. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had the exact same problem but a new light seal did not help. Sometimes the magazine gear is worn and will let light in. I sent mine to David Odess and now it's perfect.