Problem with tubes

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by mark, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. mark

    mark Member

    Messages:
    5,270
    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2003
    I made the tubes and everything worked well, except for the holes in the emulsion. I can't figure out how they got there. I suspect one of them happened when i removed the film since it is roughly the size of my finger tip and right at the top edge of the edge. The others are a complete mystery since they would be at the bottom of the tube and away from my finger. They are also in different spots on each neg. They are too big to be pin holes. I fixed the three negs in different trays, so that is not the problem. Has anyone else damage the emulsion of a neg getting it out of a tube? Yes, the emulsion was to the inside of the tube, and was not touched at all.
     
  2. juan

    juan Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,748
    Joined:
    May 7, 2003
    Location:
    St. Simons I
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not had that happen. I use screens cut a little larger than my negatives and move the negatives by pulling on the screen - not the negative itself. Screens may help you.
    juan
     
  3. Donald Miller

    Donald Miller Member

    Messages:
    6,242
    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mark,

    I damaged some Classic 200 when I built my first tubes. On those I had the film totally enclosed by the tube and that made it difficult to remove the film. Since I built my tubes so that the film extends past the end of the tube and extends into the cap I have not damaged a single sheet of film. I also use screen on the base side of the film to allow presoak water to access the anti halation layer. The screen also aids in removing the film since it allows some of the tension that would be totally absorbed by the film to be transferred into the screen. I just put the two substances (film and screen) between my forefinger and thumb and slide it out of the tube.

    In regards to your pin holes, that could be due to a variety of things. The one that I have heard addressed fairly regularly awhile back was due to using a full strength stop bath. The reaction of the acid to the alkali in the developer can cause this to happen. The other thing would be dust in the holders (would prevent exposure of a spot on the film).

    When I tray developed film I regularly exposed back up negatives. Since I have begun tube developing I have found that I don't need to do that any longer since my film damage problems have absolutely stopped at this point. This represents a big savings in film costs.
     
  4. lee

    lee Member

    Messages:
    2,913
    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2002
    Location:
    Fort Worth T
    Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    One thing that helps get film out of tubes is submerge them back into the water and the water will help lift the back off the tube. Works great in the Jobo 3000 series so I am thinking it will work for the smaller tubes as well.

    lee\c
     
  5. mark

    mark Member

    Messages:
    5,270
    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2003
    Screen it is. I completely forgot that part of the plans. I will give it a shot. I do not use stop bath. Just a big tube of water. The pin holes have to be dust. The craters make no sense at all. I will be vacuming the film folders this evening.

    Development was even and I am impressed with what came out. Thanks to all those who offered up suggestions and posted instructions.

    Now to print these things.