Problems with Arista EDU 400

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by imjustintime, Mar 21, 2007.

1. imjustintime

imjustintime Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought about 20 rolls of this stuff. I have shot it with both a Mamiya RZ and Hassy 500cm, and I have gotten this black line with both of the cameras. It has happened when developing at school and here at home, so I am ruling out that my tank is messed up, and that the camera has a light leak. I have shot around 3 rolls of this film without any problems, and have shot various rolls of print and slide film(color) and the line hasn't appeared. I am using d76 1:1 in a paterson tank. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

[​IMG]

2. Kobin

Kobin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had trouble with the film (Arista Edu (Hungary) and J&C Classic -- all Forte, I believe) being so loosely rolled that light leaks expose the edges even when the film is loaded/unloaded in subdued light. I've had entire frames fogged. I stopped using the film.

K.

3. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    The exact same thing happened to me on 2 rolls from 2 different cameras..I'm out of the stuff but pretty pissed about it now that I see it wasn't ME and my new 'glowing hands' shiny Timex I was wearing when I rolled the stuff up..

I was using the edu.ultra 400 from the Czech Republic ...maybe title this thread WARNING:Arista.edu 400 Ultra

4. imjustintime

imjustintime Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    how would that explain that line 1/4 of the way down from the top of the film? is it just shitty manufacturing?

5. dxphoto

dxphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used forte before, paper and film. I found their QC wasn't that great.
    I used the Ultra version (foma, from CZ), both paper and film (135 and 120). I had no problem with them at all.

6. dxphoto

dxphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Funny thing is I don't recall EDU 100 has frame number pre printed on the neg...

7. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Mine was the edu ULTRA 'made in the Czech Republic' and it has the same #'s whereas the edu 'Made in Hungary' did not (nice film though).
    I'm getting a refund and not shooting any more of it.
    2 rolls ruined is a 1/2 day + wasted... to save $1.50 on TriX?

8. imjustintime

imjustintime Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The "Arista" films, regardless of "Ultra" or "edu" or "AristaII" etc., are private labels used exclusively by Freestyle for their personal lines of b/w films, papers and chemicals. You get a refund from Freestyle. They have a very good gurantee. They have a 100% money back guarantee, IIRC.

10. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This bums me out. I just bought a bunch of this stuff. I guess you get what you pay for.

Patrick

11. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do contact Freestyle, they are really good about quality control problems. I have never had a problem so glaring, but I do believe that the QC from foma and other central european/eastern european brands is quite a bit worse than Ilford/Kodak/Fuji/etc.

12. Lowell Huff

Lowell Huff Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know that Freestyle has a 100% satisfaction guarrantee. call them and they will eresolve the issue.

13. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've gone through about 20 rolls of the stuff which I purchased a year ago to the date. I've had a few problems but the lines i've never experienced. I do roll mine _tight_ and even keep them in an empty m&m container or an airborne herbal drink container.

I've had the frame numbers intrude into the frame, i've had rolls which will not rewind in a pentax 645, or load for that matter. I've had rolls that start and end at different positions, etc. I personally don't care for the 400. I rate it at 200 and it works much better for me. The 100 is pretty decent. I still would rather stick with Tri-X or HP-5..

do a search, you'll find a real lot. probably a lot with me repeating myself often :smile:

14. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    I feel for the person who needs to return 10-20-40, etc rolls-but they need to because this is a major manufacturing defect and it's not usable. The fact that 2 people using at least 3 cameras have the exact same issue tells me it's not synchronicity. It's a shame and useless if one can't trust their materials.

15. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ive got a bit of that in my freezer and I'll shoot a roll to test it tomorrow. What's the lot number on the film with the line in it?

16. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a few rolls to pad my order for J&C's moving sale. I haven't experienced any glaring defects, but I'm reasonably sure the gunk I've seen now and then in the emulsion didn't come from me during processing.
    Good film for toy cameras, perhaps?

17. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    The arista edu.ultra 400 film boxes I still have from this order are imprinted:

4 2009

04256 2

Even if it was free it's too unpredictable to be useful. Return it.

18. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    i use the films from time to time and have found that with care in loading the camera I have lessened the problem to the point that it does not affect the image area.

19. mikeb6350

mikeb6350 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've used 10 rolls of the Ultra 100 and 10 rolls of the Ultra 200 in 120 plus 50 sheets of 4x5 Ultra 200 for my pinhole camera.
    Not a single problem here.
    But I just don't like it as well as Ilford.
    The Aritsa is cheap and fun to play (experiment) with but their registration marks for the 120 were off a little too.
    I'll still use it but not for anything really important.

:rolleyes:

20. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    I've never had this problem before and it was spotty in that I shot 10 rolls and found it on only 2 and those 2 were shot in different cameras and in different lighting situations (broad daylight and very subdued indoor light). It's the unpredictability of it that's really troubling.

21. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm a very casual shooter and in the last two years or so I've used about 30 rolls and never had any problems. I shoot with a Diana, Yashica Mat 124 and an RB-67.

Keep in mind that when I buy I get 20 rolls at a time so it's possible I've only seen two batches. Maybe even one.

22. j_landecker

j_landecker Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I processed 6 rolls yesterday, and got these streaks on 2 rolls. This is out of a lot of 20 that I've shot 14 rolls of...

[​IMG]

I wonder whether it's a light leak in the machine that puts the edge markings on, as I've shot lots of the EDU Ultra sheet film and not seen anything like this.

Jim