Problems with brushes

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Henry Alive, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Henry Alive

Henry Alive Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have ruined a good negative when I brushed it. Theoretically, I have an appropriate brush that I bought in Adorama. I want to add that this has not been the first time. Am I doing something wrong? I brush both sides of the film. Is this correct? Have you had the same problem with brushes? Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Henry.

2. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why are you brushing the negative? What damage have you found?

In general, brushing builds static charge and attracts dust, possibly that is not the case if you have a super-special radioactive anti-static brush but a blower (not canned-air) will do the job just fine.

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What sort of brush are you using? Only a camel hair brush should be used on film.

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a short-handled cosmetics brush that can be bought in most department stores. The bristles are natural and soft. I first use air from a child's ear syringe. If this doesn't work then brush. I have never experienced any scratching but I am very light handed.

Just because you buy an Item that is supposedly for photographic use doesn't mean that it is safe. :sad:

5. timparkin

timparkin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did it catch fire? melt? :smile: It would be great to know what you did and what the results were.

6. Henry Alive

Henry Alive Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I apologize because I have been out of town, so I have not be able to answer your questions.
    I am working with the following brush, which I bought in Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/CPBCH1.html.
    As I said, I have scratched some negatives, so I am making something wrong. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Henry.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a can of compressed air held far from the negatives to avoid unwanted chemical deposits.