Problems with brushes

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Henry Alive, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Henry Alive

Henry Alive Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have ruined a good negative when I brushed it. Theoretically, I have an appropriate brush that I bought in Adorama. I want to add that this has not been the first time. Am I doing something wrong? I brush both sides of the film. Is this correct? Have you had the same problem with brushes? Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Henry.

2. MartinP

MartinP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why are you brushing the negative? What damage have you found?

In general, brushing builds static charge and attracts dust, possibly that is not the case if you have a super-special radioactive anti-static brush but a blower (not canned-air) will do the job just fine.

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What sort of brush are you using? Only a camel hair brush should be used on film.

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a short-handled cosmetics brush that can be bought in most department stores. The bristles are natural and soft. I first use air from a child's ear syringe. If this doesn't work then brush. I have never experienced any scratching but I am very light handed.

Just because you buy an Item that is supposedly for photographic use doesn't mean that it is safe. :sad:

5. timparkin

timparkin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did it catch fire? melt? :smile: It would be great to know what you did and what the results were.

6. Henry Alive

Henry Alive Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I apologize because I have been out of town, so I have not be able to answer your questions.
    I am working with the following brush, which I bought in Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/CPBCH1.html.
    As I said, I have scratched some negatives, so I am making something wrong. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Henry.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a can of compressed air held far from the negatives to avoid unwanted chemical deposits.