Processing 120 Transparency Film at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Karl K, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Karl K

Karl K Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dropped off 2 rolls of Fuji 120 Provia at Wal-Mart. Ten days later I picked them up. Perfect job by Fuji...sleeved and rolled uncut...protected by a sturdy red cardboard tube.
    Cost $4.88 each.

2. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Their medium format is cheaper than 35mm.

I haven't tried slide film developing at Wally world, but the print color film is super cheap. I took in two rolls last month and for 10 pics from by RB, the price was...$1.26 per roll. I have had a few rolls that had a little stuff on the negatives, but most have come out fine. It takes my local Wal-Mart two weeks but for that price I can't hardly develop it myself. Strangely a roll of the same Fuji film in 35mm costs about $7.00 now or so. It used to cost only a couple bucks. I can take 20 pictures with my mf camera and spend about $2.50, or 24 with 35mm and spend over $7.00. You would think it would be the the other way around. I send my 35mm to York and only pay a few bucks.

3. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    any idea on how they process the film? Were there marks on each end of the rolls, noting that they use a dip-n-dunk processor, or if not, a roller-transport?

just wondering, good price btw

-Dan

4. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No idea. But what I find was that they will not push. I got a roll returned.

5. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You guys are lucky. Last time I presented a roll of 120 for processing to the clerk at the "photo counter" at Walmart, she just looked at me like I was from outer space or something. I'm exaggerating...but, only slightly. I've dropped the last few rolls of family snapshot (35mm) at walgreens but they do such a horrible job, I guess I'd rather not even bother. The clerk at walgreens at least knew what 120 film was but...they claimed that their machine wouldn't/couldn't do it (which I'm pretty sure is BS).

Wish there were someplace local to have my family snaps processed. :sad:

6. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the Walmart here 100% of the film, 120 & 135, go out to Fuji.

Don't let the kid behind the counter touch it.

Frankly our Walgreens does a very good job. I guess it is better local management.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am blesed, my daughter does most of the film processing at our local Rite Aid. She is a perfectionist, I taught her well.

8. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are blessed.

I am jealous.

9. Yokai

Yokai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji appears to be sending their E6 processing to Dwayne's. I base this on the photo of a Fuji E6 mailer on the B&H Photo website. The address is a PO Box in Parsons, KS, which has to be Dwayne's.

Sending through Walmart should get you the same processing for a few $$$ less.

10. hidesert

hidesert Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fuji has a processing center in Portland, Oregon. That's where the film I drop off at Walmart here in Washington State goes.

At $4.88 for 120 format it is less than half the current price of the prepaid mailers and the required $1.71 postage.

BTW, they charge me the same price for 220 although I understand some Walmarts charge $6.88.

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

we are in RI and the local walmart ( not sam's club anymore )
    sends everything to fuji, and if it isn't 35mm c41 ...
    it all goes to dwaynes as you said ...

12. hidesert

hidesert Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just as an update, I picked up some of my developed film at Walmart today. They recently bumped their prices a bit: I paid $5.61 for a roll of 120 and $7.91 for a 36 exp roll of 35mm.

13. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was this just develop only, or did you get prints?

If there were prints were they 6x6, 645, or 6x9?

Any comments on the quality? I suspect that since the C41 is probably run by Fuji in-house on Fuji equipment it ought to be pretty good.

MB

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. hidesert

hidesert Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    These were transparencies. I've had C-41 processed before and it was dirt cheap (less than two bucks a roll for 120). I'm very satisfied with the quality but I've just had small (3x3) prints made.

16. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, that's good enough as a proofing mechanism.

17. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    when my local sam's went belly up, and i began to take things to walmart ..
    the 2 week wait killedme ... and the price ended up being about 1$ less
    than my locally owned mini lab ( add the 1/2 trip+ gas and it cost more! )
    ... so i now take my 35mm c41 to her ...
    i wasn't saving anything by shipping it across state lines
    and i realized there aren't more important things than keeping
    my local person in business.

YMMV

18. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last place that did 120 here closed some time ago.

I do my own B&W. But not color yet.

I have avoided Walmart for years. But choices are getting slim.

19. Dshambli

Dshambli Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a shop that's about 40 minutes away from me (and I take a toll road to get there). I can't remember the prices exactly, but I think I can get B&W 120 developed with a cd for 13 something. It's a little steep, but they do a good job, and they have a lot of knowledgeable people there (one guy talked to me as long as I could listen about alternative processes). As opposed to my Walgreens experience which involved me wanting to get a few frames printed. I told the girl which number, so she takes the negative out of the sleeve and puts her bare finger (no gloves) on the frame and says, "this one right?"

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
  20. declark

declark Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have found not to ask the clerks anything about 120. Just fill out the send out envelope and mark it clearly "E-6 SEND OUT" or something like that in the special instructions. Then drop in the box and return in a week or two. I think you can even check a phone number on the ID number tag to track the progress of your order. Test it out with something not too critical to see how it works for you. I've never lost any rolls. Ended up at the wrong store one time and they apologized and got it corrected in a day or two at no charge. All the slides I have gotten back have been really clean and super cheap ranging from $0 to $4.88/roll. Seriously I would try to pay them and sometimes they just didn't know how to ring it up. I used to pay a lot more for a local camera shop and their work was iffy at best.

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the person down the street doens't do 120, either ...
    for 120 i drive 30-40mins ( each way ) to one of 2 place in that processes 120 ...
    it stinks to be honest ...

but it is better than what i have to do if i have something bigger than 120 ...
    its a lost cause :sad:

22. bushpig

bushpig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any special info you wrote on the envelope? Did you mention on the envelope whether or not you wanted prints?

I'm interested in doing this, but don't need prints and want it as cheap as possible. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that someone actually paid less when he neglected to deny prints. So he got prints, but it was cheaper.

I'm just trying to do this cheap.

23. hidesert

hidesert Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I write in the special instructions box, "3x3 prints". It's always been less than two dollars.

24. Karl K

Karl K Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is E-6 slide film we're talking about....not C-41 negative film.
    Don't write anything on the envelope having to do with prints.
    That just confuses the lab and the Wal-Mart counter people.
    They are confused enough without our help.
    I just wrote on the envelope: "E-6 Slide Film. Do Not Cut."

25. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As B&W i do that at home, but for color i must use the lab as i don't have the color kit chemicals and i don't think i can get it at all, so should i give up the color film photography?

We have only 1 lab who process all the films in the entire UAE [i think some darkrooms in houses or colleges do that for academic purpose only and not for public or commercial, but i swear they are no more than 2 or 3 in whole my country], and the lab charging about $8 dollars for transparency from 35mm up to 4x5 per film only developing, they charge the same for scan any as well, so $16 dollars for slides dev/scan, and the negs [B&W/color] cost about $5.4 dev only from 35mm up to 4x5, the 8x10 is double of the previous prices, now what i have to do to decrease the expense of color developing when i can't have the chemicals to do at home?!!!

26. bushpig

bushpig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll keep this in mind when/if I take C-41 to Wal-Mart. Thanks. Local lab does C-41, but I'm not sure if they'll do 120 slide as well.

Hence:
    Awesome. Thank you very much as well.