Processing and printing lab in Montreal?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by SunnyHours, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SunnyHours

SunnyHours Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I bought my first 2 35mm film cameras and I'm trying to locate a lab to develop and print my film rolls. I found out yesterday that my local Costco doesn't process or print any film anymore...
    Any places you'd recommend other than Lozeau and Photo Service? If you know of a good lab on the South shore of Montreal that be even better :D
    Thanks,
    Fred.

2. tbeaman

tbeaman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For pro labs, Photoservice is the cheapest for processing only. Lozeau has the cheapest whole roll scanning. I'm poor enough I used to occasionally get uncut processing at Photoservice for $2.50/roll, then take it to Lozeau for decent $5/roll Noritsu scans. Then either of them for prints of the keepers.

Costco was the best/cheapest all-around for process+prints+CD, and they did a pretty good job. I was lost when they stopped. Wal-Mart's 1-hour service used to be just as cheap and did a decent job but their scans sucked. Not sure if they still do it, but I'd give them a gander. Look into their send away service as opposed to the 1-hour. I hear good things about it online, but I think that's always from folks in the US.

Nowadays, I tend to process my own or have Photoservice do it, then scan everything myself. Very tedious and slow, but rewarding, and I get the best quality for the money.

Maybe I could do it for you, but then I don't live on the south shore. :tongue:

3. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last time I went to Lozeau (last summer), they dinged me $36 for 2 rolls + prints. They were also nice enough to include fingerprints on the negs. Incentive to keep doing the processing myself.

They finally pulled the lab out of the Lablaws on Jean-Talon / Parc. For $4 a roll / prints, it was hard to beat. I guess just not enough business.

I know they accept film at Walmart. They probably send it out.

4. Pasto

Pasto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Options are few:

1) Photo Service, very inexpensive for 120 C41, I'm not sure about the cost of developing 35mm
    2) Photo St. Denis, good service and decent pricing. They used to custom develop B&W as well.
    3) Borealis, they develop from 35mm to 8x10 sheet film. Rather expensive, but they have the last dip and dunk processor in town!
    4) Lozeau, a place I stay away from them :smile: They are very expensive and also make me feel like a freek every time I ask something about analogue photography.

If I was shooting 35mm, I'd probably stick with Photo Service for best overall service. Another option is to develop your own of course. I had so much trouble with the quality of C41 processing that I now develop my own with the JOBO C41 Kit. My negatives have never looked better, and print great as well.

Quality scanning is expensive everywhere IMO. Borealis does a good job with this. I bought an Epson flatbed and scan my own now. As I print RA4 in my own darkroom, I have not needed great scans for making large digital prints, yet!

You can PM me for more details if you wish.

Good luck!

5. SunnyHours

SunnyHours Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If only I had the space, my room is already cramped enough as it is :tongue:
    When I do get an apartment, having my own darkroom might be possible hehe
    I was also looking into medium format so I'll keep Photo Service in mind :wink:
    Thanks a lot for the replies!

6. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't need a dark-room for film. I got back into film by developing in my kitchen, I graduated to the bathroom. .... maybe soon the closet :smile:

You only need a change bag, tank...etc At least then you can decide before hand, what to get printed.