Processing film 7-9 years old

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by PeteZ8, Aug 2, 2009.

1. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have some throw away's that I never had processed from 2001-2003 area. They have most definately been stored in a rather eclectic mix of temperatures, with most of them being in a somewhat stable attached garage (never saw 90+ temps, probably saw 30's at the other end).

Drop these off at the local drugstore or should these get special handling from a pro lab?

2. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One bonus; they have been in a metal toolbox most of their lives thus hopefully shielded from cosmic death rays.

3. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If they're just throw-aways, drop them off at Wal-Mart or Walgreens.

I'm not really sure how much a pro lab is going to help, since the developing of the film is all the same regardless of where you go (c-41 is standardized times, temps, agitation, etc). The pro lab will probably take more care against scratching or exposing your negatives before/after development, but that's probably about it.

I could be wrong, but I don't see a big reason to go to a pro lab to develop negatives. Prints are a different story; they're more likely to take the time to examine each negative and with an eye that has years of experience make a darn good print.

4. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I would have a single roll processed. Observe the results and inform accordingly for the remainder when you have them done. Essentially, you're having them test a roll for you.

5. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There's not much in the means of process modification you can do for C41. Just process it all normally. You'll still get good images unless there's water damage etc.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi pete

the only thing a pro lab is going to handle special in this case is your wallet!

john

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't normally disagree with John, but...

A pro lab might just have a printer operator who has extra experience with over-riding the automatic settings and adjusting the colour balance when printing from old and deteriorated film.

But you cannot count on it :smile:.

Matt