Processing OLD Tri-X

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by rjphil, Nov 14, 2012.

1. rjphil

rjphil Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    HI - I have a few "mystery rolls" of (exposed) Tri-X that are probably 25 years old. Processed one as a test in D76 1:1, with Benzotriazole added per directions and the film was completely blank. Not even the edgeprint came up. Any thoughts on this, or maybe a different developer? Thanks !

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have old exposed film to try, but I do know that old film recently exposed needs heaps of exposure.

I use mid 60's long frozen film, that statrted as 100 iso. It is now around 12 iso in sensitivity, and needs 18 minutes in straight d-76, 20C, 30 seconds interval of 2 second agitiation with no additional anti-foggants to get anything like a normal gamma for the processed film.

So you say 'per directions' - do you mean some old film processing threead instructions, or the package directions?

3. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Maybe try exposing an image onto a tail of the film for the next time, at EI 64 (my favorite old Tri-X advice)... And perhaps skip the Benzotriazole - you will get fog, but maybe there will be traces of image. If you can develop by inspection, give it a long time in developer.

4. rjphil

rjphil Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks. This is film that was shot "back then". I'll try a longer development time, and maybe a higher energy developer. I used the D76 times that I process at now, just added 10% for "insurance".

5. luizjorgemn

luizjorgemn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use d76 stock, 20 minutes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD