Processing Rollei Infrared Film In Total Darkness

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Thanasis, May 11, 2008.

1. Thanasis

Thanasis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    This probably seems like a stupid question...but before i wreck some quite expensive film i just thought i would ask the question.
    I don't have a darkroom and I am a bit paranoid about the sensitivity of Rollei infrared film (120) and wanted to make sure that I don't have to darken the room while loading the reels and processing the film. I have read that it needs to be processed in absolute darkness.

Is it okay to process Rollei infrared film in a sunlit bathroom in daylight-filling Nikor stainless-steel tanks (which i will load with the film in cloth changing bag)?

Thanks very much,
    Thanasis

2. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You shouldn't have any problems treating it like normal panchromatic B&W film. It's not very IR sensitive (compared to kodak HIE).

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The minimum quantity of darkness is one tankful. So as long as your processing tank doesn't leak, you should be fine.

4. WRSchmalfuss

WRSchmalfuss Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ROLLEI IR

Hi Thanasis,
    a special cloth changing back will be good enough to load the ROLLEI IR into the stainless-steel-tank. NO problem!

Regards
    Wolf:wink:

5. Thanasis

Thanasis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thankyou one and all. I'll give it a go on the weekend. I'll be processing in ID-11.