Processing very old Kodachrome as black an white.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by derwent, Mar 15, 2012.

1. derwent

derwent Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have been offered very cheap a whole bunch of Kodachrome expiry 1989 but it has been cold stored.
    Is there much likelihood that this will be usable to process as black and white?
    There's also some Vericolor of similar age that comes with it....worth playing with, or flick it to some lomo guys?

2. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Both should work.....but no guarantees! There's a lot of threads here on expired films.

A test roll would be the only way to a definitive answer. After that, it depends entirely on whether you want or enjoy experimenting. Or, if you just need best and reliable results, go for fresh film. (As someone said, don't use it for your daughter's wedding pics.!) :smile:

3. pgomena

pgomena Member

Doesn't Kodachrome have the rem-jet backing that has to be mechanically removed? I don't think it will be a simple process to get a useable b&w negative out of it.

Peter Gomena

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used some 1986 dated Kodachrome as originally intended a couple of years ago and it was fine. I'm sure it will be o.k. for black and white.

Steve.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why would you want to spend ANY money on Kodachrome? It will work for B&W, but the remjet is a serious PITA to remove and messy as hell.