Product Discontinuation Notice From HARMAN technology Limited :

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Simon R Galley, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Apugger,

Please be advised that we are ceasing production of KENTMERE Fineprint VC FB ( Variable Contrast Fibre Base ).
    This product is only available in GLOSS.

The coated volumes of this product have seriously declined to the point it would be un-economic to keep it in production. The product at present remains in stock at the factory, at distributors and in re-sellers, should you use and value this product we apologise on its withdrawal and recommend that should you wish to secure some product you do so at the earliest opportunity.

No other KENTMERE product is affected.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology LImited :

2. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon, so the only product from the 'old' Kentmere still in production is VC SELECT?

3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course, I find an affordable paper I LOVE and poof, it's gone! DAMN IT!

4. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok.

6. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, first, to be completely clear, are you saying that the only version still available was glossy and that's discontinued? Or, as the Kentmere Web page for papers indicates

that there's also a Finegrain surface and that's what's discontinued?

Second, in another thread, we had this exchange:

Does this thread explain why you haven't gotten back with the answer in that one? :smile: Also, was it my question that prompted the discontinuation? :laugh:

Oh well, I probably just bought my first and last package of Kentmere Fineprint FB. At least you've announced its discontinuation before I set up the temporarily-converted-bathroom-darkroom next week and try printing on it. Money wasted but not time. :smile:

7. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Sal,

It was'nt your question that priompted the notice....no

KENTMERE VC Select / KENTHENE & BROMIDE* are all still available. *BROMIDE has been on 'run down' for some time.

Regards Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.

8. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does "run down" mean that the last batch has been produced and you are only clearing out the inventory.
    Or does "run down" mean that there are less orders and you are making batches less often?

9. David Lindquist

David Lindquist Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well rats, I started using Kentmere Fineprint VC in early 2010 because I liked the tone it gave with rapid selenium toner (diluted 1 = 8.75) compared to what I got with Ilford Multigrade IV.
    David

10. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, Simon! Good to hear from you here at APUG!

Thank you for all the GREAT film and paper from Ilford and Kentmere!

11. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Product Discontinuation Notice From HARMAN technology Limited "

And the beat goes on.....

13. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know it is out of date. I kept wondering when or if it would be updated. My question / comment was a hope that the site would get an update. Or a least a product has been taken out of production note. Still it is better than no web site and many film makes are known for not keeping things current in their literature (Kodak and Fuji come to mind).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What surprises me is that there is still a big enough demand for graded RC papers to stay in production. I would imagine they would have to go first.

16. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Simon. I use both Kentmere and Ilford papers although I prefer Kentmere FB as opposed to Ilford Multigrade FB for two reasons. The first being it is faster and secondly, takes less exposure and it has more 'Punch' than Ilford. By that I mean I can print Kentmere with no filtration and get a pretty decent print with a full range of contrasts, but with the Ilford version I have to use a grade 3 or even a grade 3.5 filter value to get the same result.

As Harman apparently own both Kentmere and Ilford would it not be possible to tweak the Ilford variant so that it is more like the Kentmere. Or reading between the lines as you own both companies, running two similar lines together at the same time, is counter to what the 'bean counters' (AKA Accountants) have said and the less used version has to go.

I submit the Kentmere version was a better product

I sincerely hope you are not going down the line that Jessops took in UK by swallowing up the smaller photographic outlets and closing them down one by one so reducing competition. (Then going bust themselves!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013
  17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Simon. Your products are excellent and thanks for being the company with the best communication to its customers I've ever seen.

On that note, this made me think about your lines of product and what might be next.

I'm a big PanF+ fan as you know, but I can assume its also probably one if the lesser purchased films. So I was wondering if there were a way to make a PRE-announcement "hey guys, x product isn't doing so hot lately and if sales decline any more we will be forced to discontinue it" as a way of either allowing an even LONGER transition away from that product, or to get those who like it but haven't used it lately to be remembered why they love it and to use it more?

Or am I just crazy? Lol.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

18. David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I concur that Kentmere is the better product. Since Adox FPVC was discontinued I have tried very many papers and have been using the Kentmere and that was a fine replacement.

I live for my photography but I barely scrap a living. The loss of a superb paper at an affordable price is going to hurt enormously.

For many years I have believed that Black & White photography would always survive albeit as a niche market. However, I never imagined that I might be priced out of the darksroom!!

David
    www.dsallen.de

19. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I also use both papers, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They have noticeably different characteristics both in terms of speed and tonal representation. Having seen a sizeable range disappearing from the market with Fotochemika last year, I think many of us hoped that the remaining brands would fill the void and survive.

20. DLawson

DLawson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know whether photographic supplies are different, but the common response to news/rumors that a product will be discontinued is for consumers to abandon it. So pre-announcing would tend to kill the product even sooner.

21. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ruh-roh. Based on Drew Wiley's recommendation I was planning to try it for a colder toned paper. Oh well.

22. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Firstly: We are now attending to the KENTMERE website to bring it up to date.

Second: For those who liked the discontinued product, we are very, very sorry.

The KENTMERE and ILFORD brands are obviously very different, we discontinued this product as it was no longer viable to coat due to the low volumes sold. The ILFORD range of film and paper products have never had a product range deleted* since HARMAN technology Limited took over, and we have only added NEW products, this is our clearly stated committment to analog photography WE KEEP ALL ILFORD branded products.

* I am sure you will come back at me with ILFORD Cooltone Paper Dev, technically that was a 'NEW product' that never reached profitability and was pulled. Also I am aware some individual items eg sizes or sheet number choices may have been deleted.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.

23. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks again Simon. You can tell your superiors that because of your presence on this forum, you have gained a-many loyal customers, including myself. Sad to see Kentmere go, but WT FB is still the all time fav.

24. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're still a bit of cash ahead of me:

Want to buy a 25-sheet 8x10 package, 7 sheets of which I'd already split into 14 5x8s? :D

Drew Wiley hasn't visited APUG since one day before this thread was started. From another, earlier thread on a different subject:

Simon, I'd start construction on that bunker before Drew returns to APUG from wherever he is at the moment. :D:D:D:D

25. AndreasT

AndreasT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Damn, my favourite from the look.

26. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Simon - why not advertise it instead? Nobody knew about it. One of the best papers ever made ... and apparently there goes the last premium cold tone paper on the market. MG IV doesn't even come close to its richness.