Progress

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Photo Engineer, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I continue to make progress in emulsion making, but hesitate to post anything for fear that it might be interpreted as a promotion for my workshops. I will stop right here and ask for advice as to what to post and where. (Sean and moderators, comments appreciated)

I can add though that in-line with my previous post today on another thread,... Well, if you are all so interested in preserveing conventional photography and fear its demise, why are you not doing more to learn how to preserve it?

When it vanishes, it will be gone! I assure you of that fact.

PE

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Post away. I'm interested.

As far as promoting one's workshops on the forum in general, we've been fairly easygoing about this when it's been a case of a regular participant in the forums who announces the occasional workshop, like Cheryl Jacobs or Aggie, as long as it doesn't become abusive. The concern is about drive-by posters who just come to APUG to flog their workshop or forum or product or magazine or whatever and don't contribute anything else, either as regular participants or as sponsors. As I see it, you've got nothing to worry about in this regard.

3. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks David, but you can see that I'm sensitized to this sort of self-promotion. I am getting together a package to post, but am not sure as to how or whether.

PE

4. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    PE,

I've been reading these posts of yours and find them very interesting. I wish I could contribute, but I can't due to lack of knowledge. Please keep posting.

cheers

5. RichSBV

RichSBV Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    PE,

I know many people really do appreciate your work and postings here. I love to hear about your progress.

But please understand that many folks simply can't afford the time for a workshop. I wish I could, and yours would be the first! I would love to do my own emulsions. Time is harder to come by than money...

Also understand that most people do not post at all. And many don't post in some forums unless they really feel compelled. Every time I post on APUG I get nothing but negativity, rants and arguements. Why bother? The art of discussion is long gone, especially if you have a differing opinion from the ruling class...

Please continue your work and keep us posted. People may not respond on-line, but they are reading and interested!

6. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would like to see what progress you have made!

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you (or anyone for that matter) have any doubts about whether something is appropriate or not for the forum, then send Sean a PM or click on the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page, and run it by him. Alternately, if your main interest is just keeping the commercial stuff out of the forums, then post the emulsion discussion in the forums, and advertise the commercial part in the Classifieds (if say, you wanted to do something like offer a discount on a product to participants in a workshop).

8. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PE,
    You would have to go a long way, before you could be called out for shameless self promotion.

Consider an article (see side bar at left) or an ongoing thread that could be a 'blog' of your efforts. Both could be used as the basis of a larger publication such as, personal web page (that could also be a gateway to your WSs), 'white paper', ebook, or traditional publication.

Many here are interested in your opinions and efforts and would think it a loss if you were not posting. I know that I have been hit with requests to try and get you to the APUG Conference, but have been too busy to figure out the logistics internally or pursue it properly with you.

9. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PE, you say you're sensitized, but are you emulsified as well? :wink:

10. alien

alien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want to hear about this, as it is interesting stuff from someone who knows what he is talking about!!

Ansgar

11. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No problems here, and I look forward to whatever you can contribute. Thanks!

12. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PE: I find your posts fascinating and inspiring in equal measure. Please keep them coming.

My experience with reviving lapsed technology is that the problems lie not with gummed up machinery or badly-written manuals, but in the lack of a chain of practical experience. The key person is not the whizz-bang inventor or the head of the lab, but the grizzled technician who knows which lever to coax with a lump hammer and which to let well alone, which roller needs re-seating on alternate Tuesdays and which grease to use on the irreplacable gasket to keep it supple. In my mind's eye you are that technician. Hats off.

13. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Keep them coming!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rich;

You are always welcome to stop by for a demo!

Bring a negative and you are welcome to coat your own paper and make your own print!

PE

16. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only ortho, but not pan.

I got pan, but it was foggy and by accident.

PE

17. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, here goes. Here is an AgBr emulsion, doped and then spectrally sensitized. I have since reduced the fog. This is about equal to MGIV in sensitivity and speed and about 1.5 - 2.0 in contrast.

PE

18. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, that didn't work.

I'll try again...

Pe

19. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, whats going on. It said "Uploading attachment" then the message vanished and no upload?

OOOPS. Sorry. I store my data as hi-res scans. Yuk. It was my fault for having a super hi-res image.

I'm changing it right now. Sorry for the posts.

PE

20. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hope this works.

PE

Attached Files:

21. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alright!

The top is the raw emulsion. The next is the doped emulsion, which became more foggy. I have since controlled the fog. #s 3 - 5 are levels of ortho sensitizing dyes and the bottom item is Ilford MGIV at the same exposure level to show relative speed.

These exposures were using a Bausch and Lomb monochromator in a device called a spectrosensitometer. It is used to measure the H&D curve as a function of spectral sensitivity. I have one on loan in my DR right now.

PE

22. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PE

can't wait for your next upload!

- john

23. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is from a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 paper negative shot in a Polaroid holder in a Polaroid back in my RZ 67.

PE

Attached Files:

24. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was ISO 100. I am now at 200 and working on ortho sensitivity.

PE

25. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is mouth watering stuff!!

I cannot wait, until you have a saleable product that I can obtain.

I'll never get to one of your workshops, being this far away from the USA.

Mick.

26. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, this is an ISO 200 (hopefully) ortho sensitized emulsion from last night. I have not had a chance to expose it in-camera, but you can compare the wedge spectrogram with the previous ones as they were all made at the same exposure time and intensity.

The apparent red sensitivity at the right is due to the huge overexposure and a harmonic in the spectro sensitometer, as I didn't have a UV filter in place.

PE

Attached Files: