ProMaster B&W Paper?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by aldevo, Jan 1, 2008.

1. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw a couple boxes of what was labeled as "Promaster VC FB Black and White Paper" in a Lustre finish, while browsing in an area photo store yesteray.

I've never heard of them, so I expect this is a re-boxing of some other manufacturer's product. The "Lustre" finish is probably a clue. I'm guessing it's Ilford MG IV, but does anybody know for sure?

The stock looked pretty old - so I'm staying away from it. I'm just curious.

2. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    See if the box specifies a country of manufacture; that may provide a clue.

I recognize the Promaster name as a distributor of lenses and other photo gear from the 1980s -- and probably before and after then, too; I just remember getting a Promaster 80-200mm zoom lens for my birthday one year in the early 1980s. I don't recall seeing the name associated with new equipment any time recently, though.

3. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A google search will turn up a load of ProMaster stuff, most of which is linked to Camcor, and most of which is digital.

PE

5. Skorzen

Skorzen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have seen some of the promaster stuff around as well. The packaging for the 100 sheet boxes looks the same as the house brand I bought from The Darkroom Studios which I was told that the fiber was Kentmere and there RC was Foma (I guess the RC has changed a few times though). I don't know if the Promaster is the same but the packaging looked the same so I'm throwing it out there as a possibility.

6. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to sell Promaster gear in the 80's when I worked in a camera store; lenses, flashes, filters, etc. No one could say who made the stuff, but rumor had it that it was Sigma/Hoya. That makes me wonder if the paper you saw is rebranded Japanese paper and also how old it is.

7. B&Wenthusiast

B&Wenthusiast Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    We can still get Promaster cameras - my daughter just got her 2nd one after wearing one out in Italy. They could have fixed it, but it cost almost as much as a new one. They are used by some schools to teach photography as a lot of the works are manual. My daughter just loves hers! I believe the new one (with a lens included) costed about $125.00 or so.

Feel free to look at her work on her flickr account:
    www.flickr.com/photos/cthrn_holt/collections.