Proof Sheets

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by reub2000, Jan 21, 2007.

1. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got a 11x14" piece of glass at the home depot to make proof sheets from 35mm. It sort of works, but it's not very heavy so the proof sheets come out a little fuzzy. I looked at an arts supply store and they didn't have anything heavier. Where can I find a heavier sheet of glass for this purpose?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Instead of a sheet of glass, try a proofer with a foam pad and a clip or a contact printer with a spring back.

3. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Print file custom negative proofer - $38.95 at B&H is one option. I consider mine worth the investment for convenience.

Bob

4. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You can get 1/4" plate glass cut at a glass supplier. A good place will even grind the edges so you don't cut yourself. As I recall, the last one I bought was less than $20.

5. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had the same problem with my setup which is similar to yours. I just flatten my negatives after they dried, and I give a good pressure to the proof sheet sandwich before I expose. I use a big foam piece underneath my glass to allow me to give a good initial pressure.

One funny thing I noticed was that once I used Ilford RC in pearl finish and because of the irregular surface, the vacuum created by the pressure on the glass plate would not last long enough. I stick to glossy finish for a better vacuum effect.

Somewhere down my buying list is a printfile proofer, but for now I can live with more hassle.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YES!

i have been using just this and it works great :smile:

john

7. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a home-made proofer that works very well for me. A sheet of plywood with rubber feet, black flannel on the print side, a sheet of glass attached using a duct tape (!) hinge.

The glass that I use is automotive windshield glass - two sheets of glass bonded together with a layer of clear plastic adhesive. Reasonably clear optically, and very heavy. Also, unfortunately, very tough to cut.

8. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds exactly like what I use at school. What exactly is the point of the bottom part?