Pros and Cons of Toyo 810M...

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ari, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Ari

Ari Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    ...versus the Kodak Master 8x10.

I currently use and love the KMV 810; while not perfect, it is almost perfect, at least for me.

Relatively light, lots of movements, ample extension, and very sturdy.

And it's easy to fix; I bought one in rough shape, but have since worked it into a much more precise (and prettier) camera.

Drawbacks include age (in relation to condition, not age per se), unavailability/high price of lens boards, few precision movements.

Three of my past 4x5s have been Toyos, and I have a healthy admiration for the G-series; they are very well-built, if somewhat, um, corpulent.

Can anyone fill me in as to the quirks, pros and cons of working with a Toyo 810M?

I'll be considering a switch later on, but I'd like to be a little better informed as to the trade-offs.

I shoot portraits and architecture.

Thanks in advance.

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Michael Kadillak can give you a direct comparison since he made the same switch. If I could afford one, I would probably switch too for the same reasons. It is much heavier, nearly or at, 18 pounds. That's roughly 50% heavier. The biggest problem I have with my Kodak is the lensboard, but since I got a Sinar recently for 4x5, I put my lenses on Linhoff boards and use an adapter. I will probably do the same with the Kodak and just make an adapter for the Linhoff boards. They go for $20 or less on eBay as opposed to $100 for Kodak boards.

3. Ari

Ari Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thank you, Gregory.
    I've sent Michael a PM.