Protectan alternative

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by pukalo, Feb 20, 2012.

1. pukalo

pukalo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any suggestions for alternatives to Tetenal Protectan? I am a bit leery about using a flammable substance like butane to top off my E6 chemicals to prevent oxidation. I just got 3 5L Tetenal kits in from Germany, with one opened and in use now. Want it to stay fresh as long as possible.

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well it used to be a mix of propane and butane, therefore it was/is flammable. So use butane.
    Or off to your local welding supplier for a tank of Nitrogen and a regulator, approx $200-450 or so, depending on where you live.

3. Jim Christie

Jim Christie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've seen a few folks recommend Bloxygen. It's basically Argon in an aerosol can, and is primarily marked to woodworkers for preventing leftover finish from skinning over in the can. I imagine it would work for photo chemicals as well.

4. amuderick

amuderick Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Canned air is difluoroethane. It works great. And is cheap. I've used it for years on E-6 kits with excellent results. Don't worry about the 'flammability'...the head space you are filling is inconsequential.

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a tank and regulator for about $100 late last year in SE Wisconsin from a local branch of a welding gas supplier. I think it is a 25 gal. tank, lot of gas.