Provblems with fixing TriX

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by demdrys, Jul 16, 2011.

1. demdrys

demdrys Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Medium Format
    even though i think i have experience in developing films since i ve done some hundreds of rolls the past years, there is something occasionaly that makes me wonder what on earth is happening.

The last 3 rolls of films that I developed exhibit ochre irregular stripes or spots that when in the light turn to a stronger yellowish colour. I thought that it would be a matter of exhausted/contaminated fixer, so i open a fresh tetenal fixer mix it 1+4 and also used fresh HC110 from a new bottle to see if it would be the same.

So next batch of 3 rolls show the same thing, all of them, others more others less. the images can be scanned and do not appear to deteriorate (yet) although i m sure that with time they will. Yet scanned, t

Usually i leave them in the fixer for about 15 minutes. Sometimes invert the tank frequently, others not, and in general i didnt have issues as i d leave them for adequate time in the fixer.

Since this happened again even with fresh chemicals, where should i look for the culprit? I always presoak film for 10 minutes and rinse twice. I rinsed the tanks etc with hot water, I always rinse the film between developer and fixer 4 times inverting 20 times each, so that I do not contaminate the fixer.
    What troubles me in general is that those brown areas are irregular and random. other times just on the edges, others running through 2-3 frames of the negatives.

any information would be highly appreciated
  2. wblynch

wblynch Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Mission Viejo
    127 Format
    Try again with distilled water. You might be getting mineral deposits from your tap.