Pt/Pd, Gold Chloride, and Reuse of Developers

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by An Le-qun, Feb 23, 2013.

1. An Le-qun

An Le-qun Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In Chapter 10 ("Platinum and Palladium Prints," p. 144) of Laura Blacklow's New Dimensions in Photo Processes: a Step-by-Step Manual (3rd ed., Focal Press, 2000), the author states--in connection with her Sensitizer no. 4, which includes a drop or two of gold chloride--"if gold chloride is used, do not replenish the developer as suggested in the tips." Perhaps due to an editorial oversight, the tips don't mention replenishing the developer; nevertheless...

Why not replenish the developer if gold chloride is sometimes used? Is it simply to avoid contaminating other prints, which may not otherwise include gold chloride their sensitizers, or does the gold chloride compromise the overall effectiveness of the reused developer (whether Ammonium Citrate or Potassium Oxalate) down the road?

2. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Gold makes the pt image very cold, even purple. Once you have used developer on a print with gold in it, it forever has gold in the developer and will cool any image placed in it thereafter.

I have 2 containers of developer, one for gold and one for all others. (even the gold developer is purple)

It only needs replenishing when it needs more developer solution to properly cover and develop a print, otherwise it's fine.

I've bee using the same developer for many years now.

3. Philippe Grunchec

Philippe Grunchec Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When using gold, what is the difference between ammonium citrate and potassium oxalate?
    ThanksĀ§

4. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I routinely add a very small amount of gold chloride in mixing my emulsion pt/pd/au and replenish the ammonium citrate but do not get cold nor purple tones. The tones are warm. The ammonium citrate when "new" is clear but the previously used is a light yellow-brown. I've been doing it this way for more than ten years and have never come up with cold tones.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

5. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Image color, image contrast and printing speed.

6. padraigm

padraigm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have only used Oxalate. Is there really a big difference in cold tone with citrate? In other words will i see a difference if just using Pd?

7. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Interesting Jeff,

The image I did was so purple I couldnt use it. What was the concentration? I think mine was a few drops of 5%.

R