Pt/pd on Baryta paper ll...seeking advice

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by CraigK, Jan 15, 2007.

1. CraigK

CraigK Member

Hi All

I have a small favour to ask. I need some sage advice regarding a project I have just completed. A number of years ago I self-published a small instructional booklet outlining my method of coating fixed-out baryta paper with platinum/palladium and other alt. process solutions. I sent a number of copies to people here and there, some as far away as Australia and Finland. In return for the booklet and shipping costs I asked for people to either send $20 to my Paypal account or a to send me a print made with the technique. Some chose the former, others the latter.

Well, I have just completed an update of the booklet. This time however, I am considering making the entire text available as a PDF download. The updated version now contains photos illustrating the various steps involved and even a link to a short video on my site where I demonstrate the heart of the procedure.

I am wondering what sort of access to the file I should provide. I could of course link it to my site and simply offer it for free to anyone who wants to download it. My goal after all is to spread the word about the technique so that people everywhere can try it. However, it is a 20+ page document illustrating a technique that took me a couple of years to perfect. The booklet and the video take up space on a website account I am paying for as well. So the entrepreneur in me says charge a nominal fee per download ($5? $10?). Going even further down this road, why even make it available as a PDF? Why not pitch it to one of the various magazines out there that publish this sort of thing (I'd have to edit it down of course to something much shorter). I could at least make a few bucks from it that way.

I don't know. I did not develop the method to make money from it. I just wanted pt/pd prints on baryta paper. My first instinct is to just share the information and be done with it. But my wallet says I should at least make some kind of effort to recoup the costs.

What say you?

2. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Craig,

I say absolutely charge for it! Your time and discoveries are worth $$. Without blinking an eye, I'd pay $25 for a well-written, well-illustrated manual as a downloadable PDF with a short video.

3. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd be willing to pay a reasonable cost to obtain a copy

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm still in a hole over the emulsion making and blade design, in spite of the return from the workshops. I say 'go for it'. You should at least recover your costs.

PE

5. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could you not publish it through Lulu.com or something similar? I'd be very interested in a physical copy and pdf format

Phill

6. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Graig, I'd be interested in a copy also. Robert

7. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Go for the money!

8. reggie

reggie Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I agree. Charge a smallis fee for it, $20 - $25 or so, not $5 - $10. The online video is especially nice. Including that in the download would be great.

-R

9. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I tend to think that techniques should be shared openly. But I dont think that you should pay to distribute it either. Why not donate it to APUG, access for subscribers only (like the gallery), I am sure this could be arranged so it is distributed from this site so it doesnt cost you. And I am sure people would still send prints....

You could perhaps sell to a magazine too.

10. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you need to or feel like you want to recoup the cost, then by all means charge a sum. I like sharing things (knowledge) and what goes around comes around. But my knowledge isn't worth much and I don't do it for a living, either...

11. photo8x10

photo8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think that charge of $ 20/$ 25 is a reasonable price, I would like to get one, I have the old one, it's good, but with pictures and video would be amazing.

Best

Stefano

12. mark

mark Member

Charge for it. You get what you pay for with free material. A person should expect to pay for quality material. Don't donate or hand it out freely. Charge.

13. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Go ahead and charge for it. Then send me a link!

Education is never free.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested in the manual/video.

It looks like you should charge $20-25 for it and you've already sold at least $200 worth :wink:

16. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    People usually value things they have to pay for more than things they don't. I'd love a copy, especially if it was a LULU book that I could hold, read and make notes on. So charge away :smile:

17. numnutz

numnutz Member

Provide a download pdf for one price then have it printed and bound as a hardback book for a more expensive price. See www.lulu.com as a suggested above.

nn :smile:

18. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hmm, I would make notes on a printout of a pdf, but would pay for a nicely produced book, not from lulu. But it doesnt sound like a book sized topic, and unless you are doing a Roger Hicks sized website project its not going to even have any potential of paying for itself. Whats wrong with giving something back? The history of photographic processes is littered with ideas that people tried to hide that just failed to take off because of the secrecy. I really dont understand the people suggesting you try to make money from it.

19. CraigK

CraigK Member

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It is much appreciated. I am definately leaning towards charging for a PDF and am giving serious consideration to the Lulu book option.

My intention is not to make money from the instruction guide. I have an active art practice, a busy commercial studio and a photography school that combine to keep milk in the fridge as it were. I simply wish to recoup some of the costs of the project. More importantly, especially if I go with something like Lulu, I will be able to offer a quick and easy service of either a download or a book to anyone who wants one without having to personally field calls, emails etc. and deal with shipping. All in all, it seems like a win-win situation.

My only concern at this point is the quality of Lulu's printing service. I have never seen a Lulu book (that I know of) but I have seen iBooks from Apple. I was quite impressed by the quality of those. So, what is the print quality like from Lulu? And has anyone ever used them for their own project? (or should I do a search of the archives...this may have been discussed before...sorry if it has...).

Anyway, I'm rambling. Cheerio and thanks again for the advice.

20. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've seen books from Lulu and for this sort of project the repro quality is fine. The books I have seen have been a variety of bindings and sizes. If you were looking to reproduce fine art images a truue to type as possible I would look elseware, but for a manual/howto book it should be fine

Cheers

Phill

21. philsweeney

philsweeney Member

I'd be interested in purchasing either way.

22. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A digital file may be OK for an article, or maybe even a magazine; but I'd prefer a how-to manual to be on paper preferably in book format. Of course one can print a pdf; but the author doesn't have the control over image quality as with a book.
    Whatever your decision, I'd definitely be interested in your manual.

23. Timothy

Timothy Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I will be watching too, Craig, since I will be eager to purchase a copy as well.

P.S.

I don't think I ever thanked you for your advice re the Sales and Rentals department at the Winnipeg Art Gallery. They accepted three of my prints and I am very grateful. I hope that the next time I am in Winnipeg I will have time to stop by.

Thanks,

Tim R

24. CraigK

CraigK Member

Way to go Tim!

Ok, then it is settled. I will log it to lu-lu-land and have a book and download set up for all and sundry.

Stay tuned. This will take a week or two (I'm teaching, shooting, speachifying like crazy right now, but I want to get this off the "to do" list).

Thanks again for all the feedback folks!

25. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look forward to get a link too. Have seen some beautiful work here on APUG and in other places and would love to get started doing some pt/pd.

In addition the Craigs offer i am interested in other book suggestions to get started. A workshop would probably not be the first place would it?
    Thanks..

jan

26. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Craig

Any progress on this? I just moved house and realised I have over 600 sheets of baryta paper to play with of various sizes from 20x16 to 10x8. I am keen to try Kallitypes with this paper.

Phill