pt/pd printing

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Ingemar, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi-
    I am going in for pt/pd printing. I wonder if i can use my almost "bullet proof". negativ to get a good resultat. I have used very dense negs for printing on POP papers. It vill be very nice to use both my old negs and my new ones that i dev. for pt/pd printing.
    Thanks
    Inge from Sweden

2. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You should be able to. Of course, "dense negs" is not necessarily the same as "high-contrast negs", but in general, pt/pd can take a neg of high contrast. If your negs are of too high of a contrast, you can consider the POP platinum process (Ziatype) which can handle higher contrast negatives.

Vaughn

3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    "Bullet Proof" negatives are not the answer. SUch negatives will take forever to print.
    Negatives with a long scale are what is needed. Slower films produce more contrast more easily - like FP4+. Use your normal EI, or 1/3-1/2 stop higher and develop 40% longer for traditional films. These may not be perfect, but they will get you in the ball park. Shadows should be rather thin, highlights twice as dense as for gelatin silver.
    Get the book by Sullivan and Weese from Bostick & Sullivan and study it before you begin. It will save you a lot of frustration and money.

4. Don12x20

Don12x20 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The Sullivan/Weese book is OOP
    Get a copy of the SECOND EDITION of Dick Arentz's Platinum and Palladium Printing.

Bostick Sullivan sells it. So does Amazon.

Don