Pumping Wood

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by wfwhitaker, Jul 24, 2006.

1. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Spent yesterday morning 'til lunch walking about with the camera and some fellow APUGger's. Fashionably wearing a backpack with 11x14, 2 lenses, 3 filmholders; carrying a Ries A100.

Man are my legs sore today!!

2. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    LOL...I relate to you on this score...

3. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Will, Carbon fiber would be my best advice.

4. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It's not the wood, but the glass!

5. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Carbon fiber's nice, but the wood isn't just the tripod. It's the camera and the film holders, too.

4x5's starting to look pretty good about now...
    :smile:

6. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The pain will subside along with the increased appreciation for the prints made with the big negs.

But there is something to be said for 4X5.

7. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will wrote: 4x5's starting to look pretty good about now...

This is from the man who was looking forward to doing 5x7 contacts last time we met?

I think you are approaching the problem from the wrong direction. Golfers have caddies, you know.

8. Gatsby1923

Gatsby1923 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Hmmm Want to trade my 4x5 for your 11x14? I have done some pretty long hikes with my 8x10 so I feel your pain. Made me wish I could have hired some Sherpas , but those are so hard to find in Western MA.

9. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

I fugure that in another hree years, if I feed Him right, my son will be able to carry my 12x20 for me. He's too young right now and I don't want to do any damage to the lad so he carries my 5x7 for me these days. He did an admirable job last saturday at the General Sherman tree in Sequoia---something like a 500' gain in 1/2 mile and he took it at a run (with a half dozen film holders aboard for good measure!)

I'm proud of the wee lad!

He's also a darn fine retriever during duck season, and setter during pheasant season.

(I never could train a dog to "quarter")

Cheers!

10. Lee Hamiel

Lee Hamiel Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Either hire a Sherpa or a massge therapist afterwards:smile:

A 4x5 has the same appeal as using an M Leica body right about now I suppose.

11. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mmmmmmmm... Leica........

12. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    ..and the man who advertised for a Philips 7x17. Will, I carry mine in a baby jogger. I wonder if anyone makes a motorized baby jogger. Might have trouble getting that by the Park Ranger on the non motorized vehicle trails.

John Powers

13. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, 5x7's still one of my 10 favorite formats!

All the more reason to get a Phillips. I still want one!

And sorry, the 11x14 is not for sale. :smile: I'm afraid the original post is more a commentary on age and atrophying muscle than it is on formats. (But maybe the 11x14 is better left nearer to the car...)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Will, you were obviously just showing off for those other Ape Huggers. Everyone knows with cameras that big the good shots are always within 60 paces of the car that brought them.

16. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reminded me of an old 70's song, "Silly Willy"

17. Harrigan

Harrigan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My siberian huskie helps me pull my gear and he loves it. Of course not in this heat.

18. Harrigan

Harrigan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    that would be husky...oops

19. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While I'm familiar with that form of morning-after syndrome, Will, I think your approach to the problem may require re-thinking. If, for example, you were to hire a couple of members of the Swedish Bikini Team as assistants, they could both carry the equipment and serve as massage therapists afterward. (Just thinking about hauling an 11x14 in a backpack makes my muscles tense.) :wink:

20. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will,

Now you know why many of us use 4X5 and QL/Readyload film especially if shooting chromes.

The Leicas may look good at this point, but then for really small and light how about the Rollei 35S? :wink:

Rich

21. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dick Arentz told me once that the greatest views for 12X20 cameras are always found within 50 feet of your vehicle. If just anyone had told me that, well, I might doubt the truth of the statement, but being that it was Arentz I pretty much took it for truth. I confirmed this truth once by hiking about a mile with the 12X20 on my back, with the tripod, some holders and a couple of lenses. When I reached the spot I realized that the better view was from the car, so I trudged back up the mountain and made the negative. Some truths just can not be challenged.

It is curious how such truths are revealed to us. Several years ago I was driving along a dusty road in Nine Mile Canyon in Utah and saw a panel of rattlesnake petroglyphs on a cliff about 150 feet from the road, across a small stretch of sage bush. It seemed at first obvious that the better view of the panel would be had by walking through the sage bush and climbing up to the panel, using my 12X20 camera. However, about half way through the bush I saw a small rattlesnake violently shaking its rattles about 1.5 feet from my left foot. After very carefully extricating myself from this difficult situation I thought for a few minutes about the petroglyph, and two thoughts eventually came to mind. First, those native americans who made the rattlesnake petroglyphs some centuries before really knew this area, and two, I realized that it was much too late in the evening to continue through the bush to the panel, and that the best view of the rattlesnake panel would be with a medium format camera with a telphoto lense, stading near the car. It also crossed my mind that there might well be a lot more rattlesnakes out there between me and the panel.

Sandy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2006
  22. Donsta

Donsta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mmmmmmm.....Explorer...

Seriously - if you really want to schlep around with an 11x14, Dick's Explorer model is the only choice. In my experience, there should be a special name for that sweat that trickles down everywhere when you have severely overburdened yourself with a big heavy camera and more gear, filmholders etc than you could ever use, but you are halfway there and even if the shot is only "so,so", you're still going where no man has gone before with a whateverXwaytoobig camera....

23. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe a Ford Explorer...

24. Donsta

Donsta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's like a cheap and nasty CF tripod isn't it - it would prefer to be "turned over"?...

25. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I'm 54 and I travel with a 8x20, but the backpack I use goes on a luggage cart with big wheels so I can get it through the mud and sand of the swampy areas I photography. I can see why as you get older you go smaller (cameras that is). But after lugging this thing for a half hour in 95 deg temps and 100% humidity. You start having second thought about getting under that darkcloth. But when your in the darkroom and see the images all that suffering is forgotten till next time. Did I say anything about mosquitoes.

26. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Two words: Ibuprofen Loading.

I learned this from a brain surgeon--yes, a real brain surgeon. Start taking Ibuprofen the night before a long hike, workout, photo trip, etc. Take Ibupropfen the day of the work out in the recommended dose and at the recommended times. It works as an anti-inflammatory and helps to keep you from getting sore in the first place.

Try it. I see a 16x20 in your future.