Purchasing a Hasselblad...USA vs.Sweden

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Kimberly Anderson, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello folks,

Looking for a 500 series body, 80 & 150mm lens, finder, a few backs, etc...

Was wondering about buying in the USA vs. buying in Sweden. I have found an interesting site in Sweden and am doing the conversion from Kroner to US Dollars.

Prices over there don't seem so bad...

Just wondering if anyone else has done the math and thinking.

Thanks!

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Based on my real experience, both Samys on Fairfax in Los Angeles and KEH are competitive. KEH has more inventory and a better return policy. About half my equipment comes from each.

Steve

3. Darkroom317

Darkroom317 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Shipping is an issue though. Also, it's Kronor.

4. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Personally, I worry about returns. If a camera, lens or back has an issue, the time, expense and hassle of the return would eat into your savings pretty quickly.

-Laura

5. photomat-

photomat- Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1

I find it hard to get better prices on lenses and backs than with Keh. I used Georgeury.com when I bought my 500CM, he rates the condition of his used gear conservatively. Both give you an ample warranty for used gear.

6. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The main reason I ask is because I will be *IN* Sweden for three weeks this summer. If there was a problem I would be able to (hopefully...), return the items to the seller.

The Kroner exchange doesn't worry me, since I'll be using them there anyway.

I have used KEH in the past and will heartily agree their service is amazing and every piece of gear I've ever gotten from them has exceeded expectation.

Thanks guys.

7. sarahfoto

sarahfoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What site have you been looking at? Living in Sweden maybe I can tell you if it's someone you would like to do business with, or not.
    :smile: Sarah

8. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a frequent traveler to Europe, that statement... confuses me. Whether you exchange here, exchange there, exchange anytime or place, the conversion needs to be accounted for if you are making price a critical factor in your purchase. Whether you are there using Kronor, or buying from the states, the law of economics still applies.

tim in san jose

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you buy it in Sweden, you could get hit at U. S. Customs. Is the risk of that worth buying in Sweden and sending equipment back and forth over the Atlantic to save a few shelkels?

Steve

10. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

If you buy stuff from Europe and you're living in USA, you don't need to exchange $$$ in Kronors. You may stuff some of them onto your bank account before purchase but they'll be exchanged in dollars anyway once you hit 'bill me' button and then exchanged again into Kroners once they hit european banks. so, you loose some that way by exchanging them twice.

11. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad is reasonably cheap in Sweden and equipment are not hard to find.
    Cheapest is of course to buy from a private seller. If you know Swedish you can try www.blocket.se
    Next Saturday there is an auction in Stockholm with loads of Hassy-stuff (www.lpfoto.se for tha catalogue).
    Are you looking for anything special?

If you have any questions or need any help finding stuff in Sweden just let me know (I live there).

12. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What I'm not nervous about is the use of the Kronor. If the equipment is significantly cheaper in Sweden, then it will make up for the currency exchange loss. Yes, there is a value loss when you exchange, but there might be a value gain if the gear is less expensive to begin with. THAT is what I am trying to figure out.

I am looking for a 500c or 500c/m, an 80 and a 150, a few backs and maybe even an eye-level finder. A basic kit for doing some landscape and portraiture while I'm there.

The site I was looking at was the Swedish eBay, and I found a 500c package that was 3000 Kronor (379.80 USD) A comparable kit from KEH is priced at $518.00.

It seems that if you can find the right seller, it could be advantageous to purchase in Sweden. Customs? I've never been asked to declare cameras in customs and prove they were mine with original USA sales receipts.

We will be in Lund for a while. If you have any leads on Hassy stuff, let me know Jesper. I will look at the auction on the lpfoto.se site.

Thanks!

EDIT: Just looked at the auction site. Very easy to navigate...very reasonable prices. It looks like I will be purchasing my Hassy stuff in Sweden.

13. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This one appeared today on Blocket.se http://www.blocket.se/kalmar/Hasselblad_501_CM_27982323.htm?ca=23_10&w=3
    You will see what is in the deal from the picture. The seller wants 5000kronor.
    There is a mail-to-link by the letter icon if you want to get in touch with the seller, and let me know if you need anything translated,

I will take a look at some sites and send you some links.

14. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

This has been my experience, but I would not want you to be on the wrong side of the question. Of course there is always, " This old stuff, I have had for years, why would I carry documentation papers after all these years?"

Enjoy

Steve

15. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a US citizen you would get $800.00 purchases duty free anyway.

Just don't mess around with Customs. They get upset when you do that.

tim in san jose

16. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that link...looks like a great place.