Purple C-41 Negatives?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Sirius Glass, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today for the first time I developed C-41 film and used my Jobo CPP 2 with the temperature stabilization. I used Unicolor C-41 Powder Kit, 1 liter from FreeStyle. I mixed carefully and watched the temperature and after two 2.0 minute washes the film came out dark purple. So I washed twelve times for one minute and the films are more orange and still purplish. I am waiting for the film to dry and see the final results.

Is this normal?

Steve

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have used both the Rollei kit and Kodak SM, and I have never seen that.

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is my understanding that with C41 whenever you re-wash you should start over at the bleach and work through the whole process from there.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is what I thought but the blix is dark purple and I think it makes it dark purple. Now that the negatives have dried some, they are more orange. I will watch for the answers here and rewash or blix and rewash after they have dried as advised.

Steve

5. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve

The film doesn't pick up the color of the bleach. There are actually several different color bleaches and I have not seen any color carry over, the film base ends up the same.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The film has dried the the appropriate shade of orange. I was following Chris' advice that it is never too soon to panic.

thanks,
    Steve