Purple edges on tmax 400?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jernejk, Aug 20, 2010.

1. jernejk

jernejk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I just developed tmax 400 in ultrafin plus. The negatives look ok, but the edge (perforation) is purple on some places. I've not seen something like this before. What could be the cause?

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    lack of fixer. tmax films need longer fixing times . However, it is not unusal for the edges of film to show issues, either with the developer or fixer not getting to those edges bound by the reel.

3. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is that remaining emulsion?

Sometimes when I process film in my stainless steel reels there are spots that don't get fixed out during processing where the film touches the reels.
    I also use TMax 400, in both 120 and 35mm, and even though I fix for seven minutes with lots of agitation, I sometimes still get this effect.

I have never worried about it, because it doesn't affect either the negative or the print quality.

- Thomas

4. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds just like you haven't got rid of the purple dye completely?
    Cause could be fixing and HCA/washing wasn't adequate.

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a fixing problem. T-max usually needs time in the fix.

Jeff

6. jernejk

jernejk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Aha, the reel preventing fixer access to emulsion would explain this. Since it's just on the edges, I think I'm fine.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A fixing problem.

Steve

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get this VERY often with my tmax400 and stainless steel reels. The shape of those "markings" always match right where reel spiral would be. Then, those "markings" never get into the image areas. Even with 10 minutes fix with Kodak fixer. Like Thomas, I never worry about it.

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Correct me if I got this wrong ...
    You are having problems getting fixed? :laugh:

10. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, STOP....:tongue:

11. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also almost always see this sort of thing when using SS reels, but seldom or never with plastic reels. If you're using SS reels, jernejk, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're using plastic reels, it could be the same thing is happening because your reels are different from mine or your loading technique is different; or it could be something else, like insufficient fluid volume. (If the tank isn't absolutely level, part of the reel might poke out of the solution, leaving underdeveloped or underfixed bits.)

12. SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just experienced the same problem with my TMax 400 II. In my case, I had done a fixer exhaustion test before the devleopment. Where my fixer normally fixes the film in 5 minutes, the test said I would need at least 11 minutes to fix the film. In short, my fixer is nearly done. My conclusion: Old fixer is not effective and will not fix the edges of the film that are in contact with the steel reel.

13. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure sounds like it. I get the same thing when I use SS reels too, and one of the reasons I'm so fond of plastic reels and tanks. Don't worry about it.

14. jernejk

jernejk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It seems yesterday was not really my day. I always put film in a light soap bath as the final step and the water drains nicely.
    Well yesterday I didn't put in enough soap or so it seems, and now my film is full of tiny spots where droplets remained. Is there a way to get rid of them?

15. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    First of all, a proper wetting agent should be used for the final bath of the film, not just a light soap. Kodak Photo-Flo, Ilford Ilfotol, Agfa Agepon and Tetenal Mirasol are classic options. Now, regarding the spots, it matters a lot where these spots have formed. If they're on the base (back) side it's easy to get rid of them, if on the emulsion side, then you might not be able to fully remove them. In any case, wash again and use a wetting agent, preferably mixed with deionised water.

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What he said. PhotoFlo et al are very cheap and a bottle lasts forever. If your black & white photos are of any value, and I assume they are, then use them. [Color uses stabilizers and PhotoFlo is not to be used.]

Steve

17. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Absolutely back this notion. I have used Sprint 'End of Run' for a good long time now with excellent results. No drying marks whatsoever, and I have tried it in regular tap water from two different water taps, distilled water, and Brita-filtered water. All works like a charm. And it's inexpensive too.

18. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Keep the film loose on the reel.

19. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would work, but how would you do that? No, I'm not being facetious at all. Film has a natural curl to it after it''s been rolled up tighly in a cartridge for a while and wants to spring out to the edges of the spiral. AFIK, there is only one way to load the reel and however it falls, it falls.

20. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After walking film onto a SS reel the emulsion side will be pulled against the reel. This not what you want. You need to push the end of the film slightly in toward the reel. This will push the film backing against the reel rather than the emulsion side. This should resolve the edge problem.