Push- and cross-processing Ektar - a brief comparison

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by T-grain, Jul 13, 2012.

1. T-grain

T-grain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    few days ago Will posted these interesting photos of his 2-stop pushed Ektar here
    so I thought it would be nice to find out also other processing variants people did. I was surprised- I found another pushed processed and a crossprocessed Ektar example, and the outcome is like having a completely different film! A side-by-side comparison is shown on my blog:
    http://theanalogphotographer.blogspot.com/2012/07/film-matter-schizophrenic-ektar.html

I think it's just good to know Ektar offers us these interesting options as well :smile:

2. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love Ektar ... thanks for sharing!

3. BrendanCarlson

BrendanCarlson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stop making me want to shoot new types of films! :blink:

4. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm curious, with E6 cross-processing, did she use the times/baths as if the film were slide? Also, does it come out looking like a transparency? I would think the orange mask would remain..

5. T-grain

T-grain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    as for the E6 processing, I think she did, but I need to ask her how the actual slides look like
    I'll post as soon as I get the info

in any case, Ektar provides an interesting (C41) pushability option, in my view

6. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is the best way for cross-processing, from neg to E-6 or slide to C-41?

7. T-grain

T-grain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    well, I think it much depends on the taste, but in general, slide in C41 usually provides a more usable option-you can scan and correct the color curves etc or you can even optically print onto RA4 paper (not bothering too much for color filtration)
    Lomographers, for example, use a lot of crossprocessing, but only with (outdated?) slide film in C41 chemistry-plastic cameras are not really precise in terms of exposure...
    color neg film developed in E6 is a less common option, usually gives less usable results (very muted image)

8. BrendanCarlson

BrendanCarlson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just search the forums, there is a whole lot on here about this. I'm looking forward to trying a few rolls of Elite Chrome in C-41 soon.

9. T-grain

T-grain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the orange mask, apparently, doesn't cause much of a trouble, as she states. I was shown the photos of the actual slides-the scanned images are pretty much a good representation of the photo itself. Blacks are black, and highlights lookk very clean, no visible orange cast seen.
    I need to try it myself, how Ektar behaves in other conditions, too: like portraits
    just can't wait...

10. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In fact i did once the cross processing, but i can't remember which one, maybe a slide in C-41, will check it again, but i will give it more try later and see how it will look.

11. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Scanning technique matters.
    In the other thread I showed you how applying a normal black point to that image greatly changed the aspect of the picture, because the "washed" effect was actually a result of the scanning technique, not depending on the film character.

This is also to say that you can obtain the same "washed" look from any image from any film however developed provided you set the black point as not being black.

Comparing scans from different photographers, each using different scanners, typically non calibrated, and filtered based on different monitors, typically non calibrated, actually results in a comparison of different, random factors during the necessary hybrid phase and not a comparison of different films, or same film with different treatments.

To have a striking demonstration of how much calibration influences colour rendition it is enough to visualize the same colour image on two different non calibrated monitors side by side (your laptop and your desktop, your desktop and your tablet etc.). Colour rendition will vary a lot.

If you now re-filter those two images on the two different computers so that they look the same on the two different non calibrated monitors, when you see both images on the same monitor side by side you will see two quite different filtrations.

Making this easy experiment at home will easily tell you how indicative is to judge colours, film character etc. comparing images on flickr by different users :wink:. This is something which is often done in film forums - talking about colour qualities of film by just showing non colour-managed scans - but it is basically "not very" meaningful an exercise.

PS It just came to my mind that probably somebody will read the word "scan" and will immediately post that this is not the right forum for discussing scanning. To that I preventively answer that my post is not about scanning but about how faulty can be a comparison of non colour-managed scanned images while discussing analogue film colour behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
  12. T-grain

T-grain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So true what you have just said, Diapositivo, about scanning, and thanks for opening this aspect!
    Yes, with scanning and adjusting the curves in our scans we can either render the scans as possibly close as the actual photos, or modify them in the way we like them most.

BUT, here I have the definitive proof, the scanned image is very close to the actual slides. Hannah, the contributor, snet me a snap of these slide.
    I can only say, i just cannot wait to try myself Ektar in E6. Get a look and regards:

Attached Files:

13. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are others who have done this including myself. The orange mask does NOT vanish, and the images are quite low in contrast with low Dmax compared to a real slide film.

I have done both types of cross processes and many that you have never thought about.

This is posted in answer to another thread on a similar subject.

PE

14. Sperdynamite

Sperdynamite Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Can anyone tell me whether they kept the speed at 100? I totally want to try this. It looks like old Kodachrome...

15. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not bracket in third stops and see what you get -- and what you like best.

16. Sperdynamite

Sperdynamite Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will, but if somebody has a starting point I like to work from there. :smile:

17. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to get a lab years ago to develop negative films in E6 and loved the results. I always over exposed by 3 stops but I cannot remember if they ran the E6 process as normal or altered it in any way.

18. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The enthusiasm is magic and most welcome!
    Great presentation too!

19. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I checked my notes which are about 14 years old and found out I usually made 3 exposures at normal, +1 and +2 and the lab pushed processed by 3 stops. This resulted in very vibrant transparencies. Fuji Reala worked great. I much preferred this way than processing trannies in C41.