Push Kodachrome or Not?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by jglass, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jglass

jglass Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I stupidly exposed a roll of KR64 at ISO 250. The shots were outdoors in the streets, very late in the day but in fairly contrasty lighting, exposed to protect the highlights, primarily. I expect that means they'll be horribly underexposed.

The images will have some pretty cool compositions of a biker rally, closeups, some good faces, some good panning shots, etc, but it's not like my career or life will be over if the roll is ruined.

Dwayne's will push KR64 up to 2 stops (at $10.00 per roll). Should I ask for a one or two stop push, or just see how they come out underexposed, perhaps with some cool effects (shining chrome and everything else black)?

I'd especially appreciate comments from those who have had KR64 pushed by Dwaynes.

Thanks.

2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I personally have never have had Kodachrome push processed but I have always wanted to. I always forget about it when I am shooting. I would have a 2 stop push.

3. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Kodak does not recommend push processing KR64 (only KL200). From what I understand push processed KR64 has a very noticeable magenta cast to it. If you think it's worth it, go for it, as the color cast is more than likely correctable if you're willing to scan the slides.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  5. jglass

jglass Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, guys. David, that one image is really nice, makes me feel fine about trying a push.

6. c.w.

c.w. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had it pushed one stop once - it turned out a smidgeon blueish green to my eye, but not horribly so.

7. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Speaking of bluish-green, what would make Kodachrome shot at rated ISO bluish-green? I took some shots about a month ago in the White Mountains that have a bluish-green cast to them. At first, I thought it might be the altitude (9000-11000+ft). But this was only with fresh KR64. The shots I took with KM25 from 2002 looked perfect, despite the fact that most of the shots with KM25 were taken at 11000+ft.

8. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't want to try it anymore.

9. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    i've shot plenty of KL200 and PKL200 pushed to 500, it looks very unique. A bit blocked up in the shadows but the reds! Shot boxing, and you could Really see the blood. Gruesome!