Push Portra 400 or just underexpose?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by tron_, Sep 27, 2013.

1. tron_

tron_ Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tomorrow I will be going out to shoot in an area I know I will need 800 or 1600 speed film. The only color film I have right now is Portra 400. Keeping in mind this will be shot in 120 format, do you guys think I should push the film with longer development times or just underexpose it?

Thanks!

2. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot at 1600 and develop normally. Portra 400 has phenomenal latitude. You can also push process and that works as well. Pretty forgiving stuff.

I have read that it will go to 3200 but I have not tried to do it myself. Hmm..I may have to try that out during my next color developing run. :smile:

Edit - Keep in mind that I scan my color work. Not sure what will happen if you print in color in the darkroom.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
  3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Base your "push" or "do not push" decision as much on the inherent contrast of the scene and the light as on the light levels.

A push increases contrast, but doesn't increase sensitivity (much).

4. dugrant153

dugrant153 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've pushed Portra 400 to 800 on 35mm and it was usable. Hmm... maybe I should just develop normally at 800 ASA...